The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) is a UN specialized agency, established by States in 1944 to manage the administration and governance of the Convention on International Civil Aviation (Chicago Convention).
ICAO works with the Convention’s 192 Member States and industry groups to reach consensus on international civil aviation Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) and policies in support of a safe, efficient, secure, economically sustainable and environmentally responsible civil aviation sector. These SARPs and policies are used by ICAO Member States to ensure that their local civil aviation operations and regulations conform to global norms, which in turn permits more than 100,000 daily flights in aviation’s global network to operate safely and reliably in every region of the world.
In addition to its core work resolving consensus-driven international SARPs and policies among its Member States and industry, and among many other priorities and programmes, ICAO also coordinates assistance and capacity building for States in support of numerous aviation development objectives; produces global plans to coordinate multilateral strategic progress for safety and air navigation; monitors and reports on numerous air transport sector performance metrics; and audits States’ civil aviation oversight capabilities in the areas of safety and security.
To serve as the global forum of States for international civil aviation. ICAO develops policies and Standards, undertakes compliance audits, performs studies and analyses, provides assistance and builds aviation capacity through many other activities and the cooperation of its Member States and stakeholders.
Work at ICAO
ICAO looks for energetic, passionate, motivated individuals to join the team.
ICAO looks for people who
- Demonstrate a high level of technical knowledge
- Be motivated and have a strong commitment to the delivering our policies and programmes
- Possess good analytical skills and a keen interest in and an understanding of policy issues especially in the area of aviation
- Be able to work well in a multicultural team
- Have working experience at national and/or international level, in a field relevant to the International Civil Aviation Organization's work
- Be proficient in English and have a working knowledge of at least one of the other official languages of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish). Any additional languages will be regarded as an asset
ICAO Recruitment Principles
- We are committed to promoting diversity in our workforce
- We aim to achieve a broad representation of member country nationals with particular emphasis on developing countries
- We are committed to improving gender balance across the Organization
- We strive to provide an environment where the contribution of each individual is valued