The DRC Somalia Programme is the largest programmes in East Africa region and has been providing relief and development services since 1997. DRC is among the INGOs with the largest presence in Somalia, with countrywide programmes implemented through six main sub offices in Somaliland, Puntland, Hiran Region, Gedo Region, Bay Region and Banadir Region. Using human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Overall Purpose of the role:
The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will work closely with the programme implementation team to strengthen DRC Somalia monitoring, evaluation, learning, accountability and information management systems. He/She will work closely with the program team and responsible for all MEAL related activities at area level.
Monitoring and Evaluation
• Work with the MEAL team to update the Output/Outcome indicator trackers.
• Support the Programme team leaders, Coordinators and other programme staff with the active implementation of their MEAL plans, ensure the plans are updated timely and MEAL findings are in place for all donor reports.
• Coordinate with field staff to develop tools and methods to improve data collection for surveys and assessment and beneficiary data for all projects.
• Link with data and grants management tools developed to collect relevant MEAL information. Support the team to use tools on all projects activities levels.
• Organize field data collecting missions and participate in the processing and analysis of the data.
• Take part in, and carry out assessments, evaluations and any other form of survey or review of projects.
• Undertake field trips and do physical observation on on-going projects.
• Guide the regular sharing of the outputs and the MEAL findings with projects staff and implementing partners
• Capacity build, train and support sectors and field staff to improve the field monitoring or any other monitoring needs
• Participate in the development and review of questionnaires for use by field teams conducting assessments.
• Participate in developing and strengthening DRC’s MEAL unit by providing support in recruitments and capacity building of staff.
• Provide support in conducting external evaluation and internal reviews of the implemented projects by DRC.
• Coordinate the design and implementation of accountability systems for projects, working closely with Programme Managers
• Build the capacity of staff to plan and implement effective accountability systems for the Programme.
• Strengthen the country program’s beneficiary and feedback complaint mechanism and set-up new systems as the program extends to new geographical areas
Learning and project quality
• Participate in the Review meetings and Close-out meetings in order to highlight cross-project components aimed at replicating good practices and strengthening synergies between projects or programmes.
• Regularly present key MEAL findings to the Senior Management Team for further development.
• Support the programme’s aim for further strengthened integrated programming and actively propose ways of achieving these using MEAL findings.
Perform other duties as directed by the MEAL Coordinator/Manager
Education, experience & technical competencies. (include years of experience)
• A Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (development, social research preferable with a focus on monitoring and evaluation as well as compliance issues).
• Minimum of 3 years of work experience within the field of monitoring and evaluation;
• Experience working with International NGO’s, UN agencies, line ministries and/or local authorities in migrants’/refugee settings in complex emergencies;
• Experience in developing/ guiding information management systems for large humanitarian programs
• Experience in participatory assessment and community-based monitoring approaches;
• Clear understanding of Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS);
• Experience with convening and facilitating trainings and workshops
• Excellent analytical and report writing skills (English)
• Fluency in written and spoken English-essential.
• Proven commitment to accountability practices
• Knowledge of data analysis software and other computer programmes
• Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results through the Regional team both to position DRC and ensure excellence in all deliverables
• Collaborating: You lead regional initiatives and processes by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
• Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively.
• Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values
Availability: January 2024
Duty station: Beledweyne
Reporting to: Base Manager
Duration: 12 Months with possibility of extension based on performance and funding
Contract: This position is graded as Band H2-Non-Management for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
The position is open to Local Nationals ONLY
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.ngo
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies no later than 20 December 2023
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport