Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA) was founded in 1939 as the labour movement's humanitarian solidarity organisation. Our vision is Solidarity in Action, and we aim to improve people's living conditions and to create societies that are more just and more democratic. In Norway, we have around 14000 members, and in total 2500 employees working in more than 30 countries around the world. NPA’s core areas are International Development, Humanitarian Assistance, Humanitarian Mine Action and Disarmament, First Aid and Rescue Services and International Solidarity, Anti-Racism & Inclusion. In all our interventions, we continuously work to reduce our climate- and environmental impact.
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end; however, the remnants of war continue to impact millions of people for decades to follow. Mine Action and Disarmament's vision is a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by Explosive Ordnance (EO). Currently, NPA has 20 Mine Action Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, South East Europe and the Middle East.
Do you have solid leadership experience from a mine action NGO and a proven ability to lead large and complex programmes? Do you have excellent collaboration skills and a solution-oriented mindset when you are faced with challenges? Here is an opportunity to develop your leadership skills further as our new Programme Manager in Iraq!
Location: Baghdad, Iraq
- The opportunity to lead a well-established country programme with a strong reputation and a wide portfolio of programme activities and donors. Our Iraq programme is one of the largest and most complex programme in Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA).
- Comprehensive salary package including country specific allowances and insurance scheme.
- Five weeks’ annual holiday plus one additional week off for expats.
Please note that we offer a two-year contract* with the possibility of renewal. The working conditions, including annual leave, follow the Norwegian Working Environment Act.
- Minimum five years leadership experience from senior management in a mine action NGO. Previous NPA management experience is highly desirable.
- Experience of strategically managing and directing large scale projects including implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation, risk assessment and mitigation and contract compliance.
- Experience from Mine Action and Disarmament as well as experience of having developed relationships and negotiated with donors, government bodies, other NGO’s as well as local partnerships.
- A bachelor's or master's degree or a relevant educational background from the military.
- Written and verbal proficiency in English. Arabic language skills are desirable but not a must have.
- Great literacy, numeracy and IT skills.
One of your key strengths is your collaboration skills and your communication skills. You have a very good understanding of how to run and develop an organization and you have a solution-oriented mindset when you are faced with challenges. You know when to be an operative leader with a focus on details and when to take two steps back and focus on the overall strategy for your team.
What you will do:
As Programme Manager (PM) you will have the overall responsibility for all Norwegian People’s Aid Mine Action and Disarmament (NPA MAD) activities in Iraq. You shall through effective leadership of staff, resources and networks ensure that the MAD programme works towards NPA’s vision: Solidarity in Action.
One of your main responsibilities will be to:
- Provide strategic leadership and in coordination with the Country Director, representation of NPA MAD in Iraq and maintain robust oversight of the programme to ensure quality delivery of NPA’s activities.
- Lead the programme’s Senior Management Team in developing annual business plans and monitoring progress against these.
- Accountable to NPA Head Office (HO) for the delivery, effective management, monitoring and evaluation of NPA’s activities in the DMAD programme.
- Ensure the effective integration of strategic, programmatic and operational management to maintain relevance, quality and impact of all activities in country.