Result of Service
Proper and timely completion of each task assigned by the Chief Campus Support Cell and/or the Team Leader.
- Perform any duties related to general maintenance/repair within the UNICTF;
- Perform any duties related to metal constructions, create and finish metal products through the appropriate machining and welding processes;
- Perform any duties related to sanitation units, water and gas supply lines, heating systems, and associated fixtures and appliances.
3 monthsDuties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Global Service Centre (UNGSC) provides critical Supply Chain, Geospatial, Information and Telecommunications Technologies services and Training to all peacekeeping and special political missions around the world as well as to other UN Offices, Agencies Funds and Programs.
The Campus Support Cell wishes to hire two qualified general handy persons (Individual Contractors) in order to quickly, flexibly and effectively respond to the organizational emergencies and priorities related to the maintenance of UNGSC facilities and infrastructures.
These locally recruited positions are in the Campus Support Cell, within the Central Service (CS), at the UNICTF, Valencia.
The incumbents will report to and work under the supervision of the Chief, Campus Support Cell and the designated Team Leader, based in the UNICTF, Valencia.
Individual Contractor will:
- Perform general maintenance and repair activities in carpentry, gardening, plumbing, (re)decoration, electrical activities, etc.;
- Carry out scheduled periodic (daily, weekly, monthly) and emergency maintenance services, etc.;
- Liaise with relevant Supervisors and other technicians, as necessary, for senior advice on construction, maintenance and repair works;
- On a “As and when required” basis, perform site surveys by finding and repairing faults across a range of works;
- Report any major issues for handling to the Chief Campus Support and/or the Team Leader;
- Ensure that UNICTF premises are well-cared also in terms of hygiene and safety;
- Plant new and replace landscape materials to enhance exterior environments;
- Carpentry: Inspect places and conduct repairs and/or maintenance, take measurements and calculate the size and amount of material needed, cut, shape and smooth lumber and/or other materials in compliance with measurements, carve and assemble furniture, cabinets, shelves and other items and install them where designated, etc.;
- Gardening: Maintain and grow UNICTF garden areas to ensure they meet specific requirements and expectations. Plant and nurture trees, flowers, and various plants. Maintain clean garden areas by clearing away leaves/weeds/grass from walks, side-walks, driveways, running tracks etc. Install non-living elements;
- Perform any duties related to sanitation units, water and gas supply lines, heating systems, and associated fixtures and appliances;
- Perform any activities pertaining pipes, drainage systems, and other plumbing materials;
- General (re)decoration activities;
- Moving/Assembling of furniture;
- Operate any types of hand tools and powered equipment/machineries;
- Handle materials/supplies in the most productive and efficient manner;
- Adhere to UNGSC Safety and Health rules and regulations when performing each assigned task;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Chief Campus Support Cell and/or the Team Leader.
High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
A minimum of two (2) years of work experience as general handy person in Facility Management or related areas is required.
Experience in the use of material handling and power tools is desirable.
Valid driving license is required.
Knowledge of general maintenance, cleaning, and repair methods is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For these positions, knowledge of English is required.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.