Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity, and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. Visit www.worldbank.org to learn more about World Bank Group.
Europe and Central Asia Region
The Europe and Central Asia (ECA) region comprises 30 diverse countries, with a population of nearly 500 million people. Majority of the countries are high and upper middle-income countries with only three being low-income IDA countries. ECA has an active portfolio of 256 projects with net commitment of around US$40 billion and a strong lending pipeline as well as a large and growing portfolio of Reimbursable Advisory Services. Knowledge is critical to the Bank’s value proposition to client countries in the ECA region in both lending and advisory services. A predominantly middle- and high-income region, the ECA region is at the vanguard of building regional connectivity while having to manage the changing structure of the labor market and the impact of the Russian invasion of Ukraine. To learn more above ECA region visit: https://www.worldbank.org/en/region/ECA .
Turkiye is the largest single country portfolio in ECA with 38 ongoing and pipeline projects with net commitments of $14 billion. On February 6, 2023, Turkiye was struck by a powerful 7.7 earthquake causing damage estimated at over $34 billion. In response to the earthquake disaster the World Bank restructured its portfolio and providing new lending to Turkiye. Procurement is critical in the delivery of the portfolio and response to the earthquake disaster.
We need the best and brightest talent to help countries (i) create solid foundations for higher productivity and resilience— macroeconomic and financial stability, effective governance and institutions, enabling the environment for the private sector-led growth, and capacity to address global public goods, especially climate change; (ii) build an environment for productive individuals to overcome vulnerability and achieve middle-class status and (iii) enabling markets to achieve sustained and inclusive growth. Are you ready to make an impact?
ECA Procurement Unit is looking for a Procurement Specialist
The Procurement Unit convenes leading group of practitioners focused on advancing cutting-edge practices and innovations in the field of procurement. The unit support governments and non-governmental actors in institutional strengthening and capacity building, improvement and modernization of procurement systems and ensuring efficiency of transactions for improved governance and enhanced development outcomes.
To improve its capacity to support the growing portfolio in Turkey, the Unit seeks to recruit a procurement professional with passion for development.
Effective, efficient, and transparent public procurement is crucial for achieving ECA’s objectives. The procurement specialist will:
• Provide implementation support to the Bank’s portfolio in the country including through inputs for policy-based operations, hands-on implementation support and fiduciary due diligence of investment financing.
• Understand relevant procurement markets using analytical tools and approaches to define more effective procurement strategies.
• Efficiently engage in policy dialogue to help countries to reform and improve their public procurement systems.
• Participates in missions and plays a key role in developing practical approaches to procurement while simultaneously dealing with difficult policy and operational issues.
• Develops and executes training for borrowers and private sector on Bank Procurement policies.
The Procurement Specialist will be working under the oversight and mentorship of the Regional Accredited Practice Manager.
The duty station is Ankara, Turkey
• High level of integrity.
• Excellent command of English and Turkish Language.
• A master’s degree with a major in a relevant field (e.g., business administration, engineering, commerce, law, procurement, public policy, economics, etc.).
• Knowledge of the concepts, principles and practices governing international procurement, with the ability to translate concepts into operational work, including but not limited to value for money, sustainable procurement, strategic sourcing, market analysis, contract management, etc...
• Minimum of 5 years of proven experience in carrying out technical duties in procurement inside or outside the World Bank.
• At least 2 years’ experience as Procurement Specialist/Officer working in public sector or donor financed projects with high procurement transactions.
• Good knowledge of Turkish institutions and procurement systems is desirable.
• Ability to deal sensitively in a multi-cultural environment and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
• Good interpersonal skills and persuasiveness in presenting, discussing, and resolving highly complex issues, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to solve problems involving multiple partners and constraints.
• Analytical skills to recognize patterns, extract conclusions and formulate strategies out of information coming from multiple sources and in a variety of forms.
• Understanding of the World Bank’s business objectives, products, and project cycle.
• Understanding of political economy, public policy, public systems, and public management.
• Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of contract management tools & methodologies.
• Ability to handle complex, multi-functional, cross-regional projects/programs including maintaining relationships with partners & counterparties.
• Good understanding of risk management.
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.