Position Title: Project Manager
Duty Station: Faya, Chad
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 09 August 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM Chad is implementing a community stabilization project focused on the peace and development nexus in the wider Northern regions of Chad along the border with Libya. The project focuses on risk factors to stabilization and security in a highly volatile region.
In response to these risk and destabilization factors, IOM Chad, with funding from the Federal Republic of Germany, is implementing a project entitled “Balke” seeking to contribute to stability, by employing participatory community stabilization approaches, and ensuring issuance of national ID cards, strengthening border management, and rehabilitating radio stations to extend outreach activities.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and in close collaboration with other project teams operating in the wider Norther Chad regions, especially the emergency and protection teams, and in coordination with the Department of Operatoins and Emergencies in the Regional Officer for West and Central Africa, the Project Manager will be responsible for the overall management of the project.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Manage the Balke project, including all of its sub-components (Community Stabilization, Border Management, ID card management, Communication Campaign), ensuring correct financial administration, logistical planning, timely and complete reporting and the continuous monitoring and evaluation of all project components, in line with donor requirements.
- Manage all staff associated with project implementation and ensure close collaboration with other IOM teams operating in the wider North region of Chad.
- Facilitate all internal and external narrative and financial reporting, including donor reporting, ensuring coordination and consolidation of partner reports according to donor guidelines.
- Facilitate, monitor and record all coordination efforts on the ground, with partners, donors and stakeholders and ensure communication of outcomes to all partners in a timely manner.
- Ensure close collaboration with the Head of Sub-Office in Faya on all administrative-office management aspects.
- Establish and maintain good relationships with other heads of unit operating in the same area and seek to maximize impact by mutual reinforcement and inclusion.
- Establish and maintain good relationships with authorities, partners and civil society in the area of project implementation, ensuring transparent and accountable project implementation and association of all partners in the process throughout the implementation period.
- Closely monitor the security situation and liaise with the CoM and Security Officer on required adjustments to the programme in line with security developments.
- Participate actively in coordination fora related to the project subject matter and represent IOM in such fora as delegated by the CoM.
- Familiarize oneself with the traditional and customary ways of communication and information sharing and adapt the programme to incorporate such means into the project.
- Ensure maintenance of the highest quality of project implementation of the different components and proactively seek council of technical experts as required for the management of the different activities (i.e., ID card management, rehabilitation of radio stations, border management, community stabilization, national inclusion fora).
- Develop and maintain a communication campaign focused on the “Our Heroes” outreach activity to increase the visibility of the communities of the Far North in other parts of the country.
- Conduct frequent field verification missions.
- Ensure adequate and regular visibility and communication on project progress to donor, partners and social media in line with IOM’s communication guidelines.
- Prepare inputs for project development according to specific needs and situation analysis in accordance with IOM project development standards in close coordination with the CoM.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in International Relatoins, Human Rights, Peace and Conflict Studies, Social Sciences, Agricultural Engineering, or a related field from an accredited institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience
- Significant experience managing community stabilization projects required;
- Significant experience in financial management of community stabilization projects;
- Significant experience in HR management and team management in high pressure environments required;
- Significant experience in implementing community stabilization projects, including ID card provision, psychosocial assistance and participatory rural development projects;
- Experience in challenging hardship posts;
- Experience in mentoring and staff development;
- Significant experience in application of IOM rules and procedures, especially concerning administration and procurement;
- Experience with project development and donor liaison;
- Prior experience managing German-funded projects is a distinct advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 09 August 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2023 258 Project Manager (P3) Faya, Chad (58265153) Released
Posting: Posting NC58265154 (58265154) Released