WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
All applications should be received no later than 06 June 2023
Contract Type: Fixed Term G7
Duration: 12 months
Duty Station: Damascus
Number of required employees: 1
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetime. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In 2020, WFP was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for its efforts to fight hunger globally, including its work during the coronavirus pandemic.
In Syria, WFP provides food assistance to more than 4.6 million people each month. This includes families who require emergency assistance when affected by conflict and displacement and also those who need help to improve their nutrition and food security. WFP supports children across Syria with healthy meals and snacks at school, mothers with nutritious diets, and families and communities with sustainable livelihood projects.
To provide technical support on the development, maintenance, testing and implementation of a portion of IT solutions in line with business requirements.
The IT solutions associate will be working within the Digital Assistance Service (DAS) team in the Country Office supporting all digital initiatives being rolled out. The Associate will support other business units to implement their activities using digital solution to gain efficiencies. The incumbent will work in close collaboration with colleagues from Programme CBT unit and all other business units involved in the implementation of cash-based transfers. The incumbent is expected demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgement in dealing with unforeseen problems daily.
1. Coordinate DAS operations in the CO ensuring involvement of all business units.
2. Assist to provide guidance to business units on the changes that are needed for effective DAS operations and mainstreaming of digital activities in the operations.
3. Perform testing of new, enhanced, or fixed code to ensure completeness and adherence to technical specifications.
4. Contribute to the installation, configuration and customization of IT systems, and integration and migration of data between systems ensuring compliance with WFP’s IT standards, guidelines, and procedures.
5. Contribute to release of IT systems and provide early life support to prepare for and enable proper use of the IT solution.
6. Provide support to users, analyse, and resolve issues related to IT systems following IT policies, procedures, and standards.
7. Contribute to the design and delivery of training courses on automated business processes to ensure efficient and effective use of IT systems.
8. Manage alignment of IT service levels related to SCOPE/BIMS incidents with SLAs (Service Level Agreements) to strive high quality support services to Internal and External stakeholders on the full range of SCOPE/BIMS features and functionalities.
9. Participate in technical design of appropriate beneficiary registration strategies and approaches by ensuring that registration standards are met, and that appropriate methodologies and technologies are implemented.
10. Coordinate IT Macro/Micro Assessment according to the standard operating procedures for Cash Based Transfer (CBTs) activities.
11. In consultation with IT management, contribute to the evaluation, design, development, update, documentation, and follow-up of applications.
12. Actively participate in the planning and coordination activities, identify operational shortcomings, and propose remedies or improvements in beneficiary registration as well as distributions,
13. Participate in digitalization activities by exploring local data needs in innovative ways.
14. Great understanding of how to work the datasets from different UN agencies and host governments.
Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
Minimum 7 years of relevant working experience. Experience in IT solutions similar to cash-based transfers linked to programmatical and data management systems, preferably through exposure to humanitarian contexts. Specific and additional experience included below:
• Experience in cash-based transfers and beneficiary identity management in humanitarian context.
• Experience in liaising with colleagues on the overall IT governance structure and system architecture.
• Experience working in an IT project team and participated in project planning activities.
• Has supported IT colleagues in the development of systems and applications needed to fulfil business requirements.
• Has assisted with preparation of reports on IT/TC trends, activities, investments, and costs.
Follow the links below to submit your application. If any of the links do not work by clicking on it, please copy and paste it in the browser address bar:
Ensure that your VPN is connected before clicking on the link below.
Female applicants and qualified applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.