Parent Sector : Culture Sector (CLT)
Duty Station: Almaty
Classification of duty station: [[filter12]]
Standard Duration of Assignement : [[filter13]]
Job Family: Culture
Type of contract : Non Staff
Level : Level 3
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 20-MAY-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
(Only candidates who are entitled to work in Kazakhstan may apply to this position)
Under the direct supervision and functional authority of the Director of UNESCO Almaty Office (ATA), and direct supervision of the National Programme Officer for Culture, the incumbent shall perform the tasks of the Communication assistant and shall contribute to the overall monitoring, reporting and communications on project the “Silk Roads Heritage Corridors in Central Asia– International Dimension of the European Year of Cultural Heritage” (hereafter ‘the Project’) funded by the European Union.
Working in close collaboration with the National Programme Officer for Culture, and the Project Implementation Team, namely the Associate Project Officer and Financial assistant at the UNESCO Almaty Cluster Office, the Project Implementation Team at the Tashkent Office, the incumbent shall:
1. Contribute and assist with the development and execution of the communication strategy and activities to promote effective communications with external and internal audiences.
2. Assist in the formulation of the Project overall strategy in compliance with internal and external strategic and development assistance frameworks.
3. Assist the Project in designing, planning and reviewing Terms of References (TORs) for Project promotion and visibility.
4. Contribute to the Project communications by preparing concise, user-friendly reports or presentations that can be shared with the general public to demonstrate concrete results achieved:
5. Writing, production and dissemination social media content under the supervision of Projects’ supervisors.
6. Provide inputs for the concept of various publications (flyer, brochure, banner and video) of the above projects.
7. Assist in organising and execution event related to projects including handling media relations (printed, online, television and radio).
8. Assist in providing inputs for publications, presentations, briefings, speeches and missions, including preparing news for website and social media.
9. Perform any other tasks related to the scope of work that may be necessary for the successful implementation of the Project delivery.
• Completed higher education degree in mass communication, media studies, journalism, or in studies with specialization in information and communication technology and knowledge society issues.
• Minimum 3 years of relevant professional experience in the field of communication and information, of which preferably 2 years acquired at international level promoting issues related to free, pluralistic and independent media and/or building inclusive knowledge societies.
• Ability to participate effectively in negotiations with internal and external partners.
• Good negotiation and networking skills.
• Ability to adapt to changing circumstances and to overcome obstacles.
• Good IT and information and knowledge management skills.
• Ability to work as part of a team and to provide quality and timely support and services.
• Flexibility to adjust work schedules and priorities; capacity to work effectively under pressure.
• Excellent computer skills; proficiency in the use of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.) and databases
• Strong qualitative and quantitative analysis skills.
• Good ICT skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.).
• Excellent knowledge of English and Russian.
• Demonstrated experience in international cooperation programmes.
• Experience in partnership-building with UN Agencies, the private sector, civil society and NGOs.
• Knowledge of UNESCO’s programmes and approved priorities, familiarity with the work and general functioning of UNESCO, European Union and international organizations in the UN system.
• Excellent editing and proofreading skills.
• Knowledge of UNESCO rules related to publishing, administrative procedures, systems and standard practices.
• Knowledge of Intellectual Property Law.
• Working knowledge of Kazakh.
• Salary: * 512 512 monthly (including 10% for pension and 5% for medical insurance)
(*subject to change in case of changes in UNESCO Almaty SC salary scale)
• UNESCO's salaries are paid in local currency (Kazakh tenge).
• Other benefits include: 2.5 days annual leave for each completed month of service, 5% for medical insurance and 10% for pension plan are included into the monthly salary.
• Please note that UNESCO is a non‐smoking Organization.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.