Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. Visit www.worldbank.org.
Background / General description
Reporting to the Managing Director and World Bank Group Chief Administrative Officer, the Global Corporate Solutions (GCS) Department brings together the functions of Corporate Security, Corporate Real Estate, and Corporate Services, such as travel, conferences, and multimedia.
Corporate Security (GCSSC) is a division within the World Bank's Global Corporate Solutions Department. It is responsible for the strategic security program that empowers the WBG to carry out its business worldwide.
GCSSC staff serve at both WBG Headquarters in D.C. and Bank Group offices in more than 40 countries. The division's mission is to support global operations by employing risk mitigation strategies and promoting the principle of shared responsibility for security and safety.
The World Bank Group in Kenya consists of national and international staff and visiting mission staff based in the office in Nairobi. The position of Security Specialist (Physical Security Engineering) will be located in the Country Office in Nairobi. The position will be part of the Corporate Security’s Physical Security and Fire Life Safety Engineering team and report to, and receive support and direction from the Manager, Corporate Security (GCSS2), through the Senior Security Specialist (SSS) Physical Security Engineering based in Washington, DC. The position will provide strategic and executive direction for optimizing the World Bank Group’s Physical Security program and will assist in the design, project management, and maintenance of the overall system at the WBG HQ and non-HQ Offices where required.
The Security Specialist (Physical Security Engineering) will regularly interact with other external and internal partners, such as Corporate Real Estate & Facilities, Corporate Procurement, Resource Management, Health Services Department, Non-HQ office Management, and property insurance underwriters. The incumbent will serve in a full-time capacity and be on-call for emergencies.
Roles and Responsibility:
Serve as the principal advisor for the WBG on Physical Security, Security Systems, and Fire Life Safety matters for the WBG Headquarters and non-HQ Office level with the following specific and general duties.
• Serve as the subject matter focal point for technical and physical security engineering and other security countermeasures and ensure that these measures are appropriate and meet international, national, and WBG standards, guidelines, and best practices. This includes development of security engineering requirements at the commencement of a project; and technical reviews of complex building architectural and engineering design packages, product submittals and “shop drawings” during the implementation of construction and renovation projects.
• Advise on major projects, from the design to the implementation phase.
• In conjunction with Country Security Specialists conduct on-site assessments concerning the appropriateness of the security and fire life safety countermeasures employed at a country office.
• Visit ongoing projects for the purpose of assessing ongoing implementation of security countermeasures and make recommendations to Corporate Security regarding their status of completion, overall quality of installation and suitability for occupancy.
• The incumbent will have to work independently consistently applying creativity and independent judgment.
• Collaborate with and advise Corporate Real Estate project managers, Country Security Specialists, and Senior Security Specialists to ensure the operational performance, integrity, and availability of security systems as required.
• Conduct technical reviews and comment on complex building architectural and engineering design packages, product submittals and “shop drawings” to ensure that security aspects outlined above have been incorporated.
• Advise Real-Estate Project Managers, Country Security Specialists, and architectural design teams on security and fire life safety requirements for projects throughout the project cycle.
• Provide input into the World Bank Group (WBG) Physical Security and Fire Life Safety Guidelines including detailed physical, security systems, and fire life safety engineering design recommendations.
• Assist with training and responding to questions regarding the approach to physical Security, security systems, fire life safety, WBG Physical Security Standards, and any other relevant issues.
Develop comprehensive technical physical security, security systems and fire life safety requirements at the commencement of real-estate projects. This may include but not limited to:
• Compound and Perimeter Security i.e., setback, perimeter walls/fending, anti-ram and forced entry vehicle and pedestrian access.
• Site Lighting.
• Vehicle Access Barriers and Construction.
• Security Safe Haven specifications.
• Security Systems (i.e., Access control, CCTV, radios, detections systems and alarms).
• International Building and Fire Code requirements.
• Education; a master’s degree with 5 years of relevant experience in Mechanical, Electrical or Structural Engineering or Engineering Technology. A Bachelor’s degree in combination with 7 years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the master’s degree. A career level diploma (at least 3 consecutive years of training) from a recognized institution, college program, or academy may on an exceptional basis substitute for a bachelor's degree.
• Proven proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing English. French is desired.
• Experience in working in field environments preferred.
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written), and ability to write concise summaries and communicate key technical information to nonexpert audiences.
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, and Project).
• Willingness to travel to high-risk locations
• At least 5 years’ experience in Physical Security or Security Project Management for international corporations and/or international or diplomatic organizations.
• Experience in the design, project management and maintenance of physical security, security, and/or fire life safety systems.
• Strong analytical skills to successfully perform complex design reviews.
• Proven experience in physical security resource management, including but not limited to procurement and budgeting.
• Familiar with security risk assessment, risk mitigation programs and procedures for operations in varied threat environments
• Deliver Results for Clients - Acts as a trusted, strategic advisor, partnering with clients to deliver results.
• Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries - Leads collaboration across WBG and with partners drawing on robust professional networks.
• Create, Apply and Share Knowledge - Establishes an environment where knowledge is created, applied and shared.
• Lead and innovate - Inspires and influences others to drive innovation.
• Make Smart Decisions - Makes timely decisions that have a broad impact.
• Project Management - Deliver projects on time, within budget, achieving the agreed-upon quality standards, and meeting the stakeholders’ expectations.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.