12 MonthsDuties and Responsibilities
THE ORGANIZATIONAL SETTING
The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) sets international Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) for aviation safety, air navigation, security and environmental protection. To that effect, ICAO is a knowledge-based organization engaged in the development of intellectual property.
The Bureau of Administration and Services (ADB) plays a lead role in the effective and efficient administrative management of the Organization by ensuring the provision of high-quality physical and human resources, by applying the highest standards of work ethics and conduct, and by using results based management skills and tools to support the Organization in implementing its Strategic Objectives, in order to serve all stakeholders of the world aviation community.
The Information Management Services (IMS) Division falls under the auspices of the Bureau of Administration and Services (ADB) and is headed by the Deputy Director, IMS (DD/IMS) who has responsibility for planning, developing and implementing an information management strategy, setting and enforcing common ICT standards throughout the Organization.
The Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Section, under the management of the Chief, ICT (C/ICT), reports directly to the DD/IMS and is a service provider, which plans, acquires or develops and manages the organization’s enterprise applications and systems. Key activities of the Section include the establishment of core infrastructure and network services; software development and support for enterprise applications; Enterprise Architecture and Project Management; Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system support, Web management as well as Regional Offices support.
The Cloud Hosting and Network unit (CHN) is one of the seven units in ICT. Under the leadership of the Unit Head, it is responsible for:
• The core system services including the establishment, maintenance and management of operating systems on servers, workstations, storage and Storage Area Network (SAN) operations, implementation as well as the management of the Network Infrastructure.
• Office automation and Service Operations, oversight of the Help desk, as well as the management of application services like Email, Office Applications, first level user support, service management and, IT asset acquisition and management including their maintenance and inventory.
• Telephony, Conference Support and Delegations Services including the management and deployment of Telephony services, supporting meetings and events and delivering ad-hoc support services for Resident Delegations.
Under the supervision of the Systems Officer – IT Security and Infrastructure Management, the incumbent is primarily responsible for the effective and secured provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and documentation to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff and Partners in a secure manner.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Function 1 (incl. Expected results)
Manages systems to provide the users with required access. Troubleshoots systems to resolve service operation problems and outages. Designs, implements, monitors and optimizes systems to improve security and availability. Reports on service performance, achieving results such as:
• Provide highly available and secure core IT services and Infrastructure, including but not limited to network connectivity, firewalls, servers, Electronic Mail, Telephony.
• Protect core services and Infrastructure from abuses and viruses.
• Protect core services with appropriate permissions assignment, backup and archiving solutions.
• Provide highly available services and Infrastructure allowing users in the Organization to communicate internally and externally in a secure and confidential manner.
• Report on the availability, performance and security posture of the core services and Infrastructure.
Function 2 (incl. Expected results)
Contributes to the design and implementation of new Infrastructure, services and solutions to provide new functionalities. Validates the integration of new solutions into the existing environment. Researches configuration information. Assists in the preparation or Terms of Reference and Technical Specifications for the acquisition of new solutions, achieving results such as:
• Improved security and functionality of the current services offered.
• Detailed and accurate procurement documentation.
Function 3 (incl. Expected results)
Maintains complete documentation of existing Infrastructure, network, services and systems. Develops documentation format and content for the users on how to access features of the services. Documents the implementation processes, including configuration options. Develops and maintain documentation on system recovery procedures. Contributes to the regular update of the Service Level Agreement (SLA) describing the nature and conditions for the delivery of IT services. Maintains a record of system incidents and appropriate solution in an ITIL compliant system, achieving results such as:
• Write documentation allowing a quick recovery from various system failure.
• Write architecture documentation for technical team to allow fast recovery from system failure.
• Develop knowledge base documentation to be used to quickly recover from system problems.
• Develop a full documentation of operational procedure for the activation, interruption and testing of IT infrastructure and services for the DRS.
• Document current SLA that accurately describes how IT Services are delivered.
Function 4 (incl. Expected results)
Works in collaboration with the Service Desk team to provides advanced technical support for the resolution of more complex incidents or for incidents with a more significant business impact. Further investigates the incidents to establish the root cause(s). Identifies workarounds or permanent solutions. Communicates with the users to implement the incident resolution. Records incident handling and resolution in the ITIL compliant IT management system for future reference, achieving results such as:
• Quickly resolve more serious IT incident.
• Maintain compliance to SLA.
• Maintain access to IT services for all users.
• Improve the efficiency of Service Desk technicians by providing knowledge transfer.
Function 5 (incl. Expected results)
Provides subject matter expertise and advice for assigned technology infrastructure, services and systems. Evaluates proposals for services, equipment and software for purchase. Recommends new configurations, provides training or coordinates the vendor’s training for users. Develops cost estimates and makes recommendations for the provision of new systems and upgrades to existing systems, achieving results such as:
• Document Terms of Reference for the acquisition of IT systems and services.
• Evaluate supplier’s proposal for the provision of IT Systems and services.
• Participate in the analysis of infrastructure and security trends, and facilitate knowledge sharing.
Function 6 (incl. Expected results)
Performs other related duties, as assigned.
• A Diploma of College Studies (DEC) in Information Technology, Network Communication, IT security, or a related field.
• A first level university degree in Information Technology, IT security, computer science or network engineering or a related field.
• ITIL foundation certification, Control Objectives for Information and Related Technologies (COBIT) foundation certification
• Recognized IT Security certification related to service operations and administration, i.e., CISSP, SSCP, CASP or other.
• PRINCE 2 foundation certification
• A minimum of 7 years of experience in IT services or infrastructure management, including Electronic mail, IP Telephony and Unified Communication is required.
• Experience in IT operations and IT Service Management (ITIL), Security Monitoring and IT Security Incident Management is desirable.
• Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English. A working knowledge of French.
• A working knowledge of any other language of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, Russian, or Spanish).
It should be noted that this consultancy is to be filled for an initial period of twelve (12) months with a possibility of an extension.
Please note that the monthly rate for Band B varies from $5,097 to $8,122.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit ICAO's e-Recruitment website at: https://careers.icao.int.
NOTICE TO CANDIDATES
ICAO does NOT charge any fees or request money from candidates at any stage of the selection process, nor does it concern itself with bank account details of applicants. Requests of this nature allegedly made on behalf of ICAO are fraudulent and should be disregarded.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.