Post Number : 1ITSC 0921TP
Grade : G-6
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Trieste
Job Family: Administration
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years, renewable
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 22-DEC-2022
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Only candidates who are entitled to work in the E.U. may apply to this position
Founded in 1964 by the late Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam and located in Trieste (Italy), the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) seeks to accomplish its mandate by providing scientists from developing countries with the continuing education and skills that they need to enjoy long and productive careers. ICTP has been a major force in stemming the scientific brain drain from the developing world. For more than 50 years, ICTP has been a driving force behind global efforts to advance scientific expertise in the developing world.
Under the overall authority of the Director of lCTP and the direct supervision of the Head, High Energy, Cosmology, and Astro-particle Physics (HECAP) Section, the incumbent provides high-level administrative support services in a range of specialized areas and plays a lead role within the unit in ensuring application and compliance with the rules, regulations, policies and practices in place. Essential responsibilities include:
• Act as focal point and manage the overall administrative coordination of the HECAP Section including the production of all administrative documentation.
• Provide guidance and interpretation on administrative regulations and procedures and advise on technical and operational transactions as well as complex and non-recurring actions.
• Advise and assist on administrative matters for the Section and ensure the observation of financial procedures/rules.
• Ensure accurate and timely processing of assigned accounts, participating and advising in the preparation of financial statements and budgets.
• Monitor expenditures, review payments and reconcile accounts, and provide necessary information and guidance to Section staff.
• Create visits and related records in the visitor management IT system to enable the smooth working procedures of the offices.
• Provide assistance and administrative briefings to staff and visiting scientists.
• Maintain schedules and logistics of weekly seminar and advertise Group's activities via posters and web pages.
• Research information on supply sources, vendors by commodity and obtain specifications on the market.
• Review contractual documents, prepare requisitions for supplies and equipment and ensure conformity of delivered goods.
• Ensure payments are processed and associated control and distribution of inventory records.
• Act as the focal point for administrative assistance regarding the ICTP participation in Joint Institutes in collaboration with other institutions in Trieste.
• Work in collaboration with the organisers of activities in the Institutes to ensure the smooth participation of ICTP in these initiatives and liaise with the relevant ICTP offices and other institutions to organize joint events and educational activities.
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.