Position at Ashoka
In-House Attorney/Global Legal Director
The Global Legal Director will work at the center of Ashoka's innovative environment, employing a variety of skills necessary at a global nonprofit.
This role will include:
- Ensuring legal, compliance, and data privacy processes are implemented and embedded in team operations and are appropriately documented across over 30 countries worldwide;
- Reviewing and negotiating partnership contracts according Ashoka policy;
- Responding to legal requests from program managers and country offices;
- Researching domestic and international laws and applying to Ashoka’s work;
- Managing pro bono and legal partnership relationships;
- Connecting social entrepreneurs in Ashoka’s network (Ashoka Fellows) to external pro bono support;
- Coordinating risk mitigation and governance across Ashoka offices and teams; and
- Working with Integrity team members and other functional teams on all other legal, compliance, and data privacy matters as relevant.
What we're looking for:
- J.D. or equivalent law degree, with a U.S. bar membership and 5+ years of experience as a practicing lawyer;
- Interest in nonprofit law, compliance, data privacy, intellectual property, corporate governance, and/or social entrepreneurship.
- Energy to engage with a highly collaborative team as well as self-motivation and the ability to work independently;
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership of and solve problems, and to expeditiously provide recommendations;
- Willingness to learn and ability to translate learning into concrete actions;
- Outstanding analytical, writing, and oral presentation skills;
- Comfortable operating in ambiguous situations and finding paths to resolution;
- Outstanding strategic planning and management skills;
- Ability to integrate and balance priorities, work activities, and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders;
- Entrepreneurial experience; and
- Excellent attention to detail, organization, and time management.
About the Position
This is a full-time position. Ashoka currently has a temporary telework policy with expectation of return to in office work in the coming months.
Ashoka identifies and supports the world's leading social entrepreneurs, learns from the patterns in their innovations, and mobilizes a global community that embraces these new frameworks to build an "everyone a changemaker world." Since 1981, we have elected over 3,500 leading social entrepreneurs as Ashoka Fellows and created a global network of peers in nearly 90 countries. With our global community, we mobilize partners to inspire and enable changemaking and to reshape how we learn, work, and live together to catalyze changemaking for the good of society.