The main aim of the FAO Syria Country Office is to assist government to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to develop the agricultural fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The FAO Representation in Syria is organized around three main units: Programme, Operations and Administration. The current portfolio of projects in Syria includes activities related to Crop production & protection, Animal Health & Livestock production, Water for production, Environment & Climate Change, Gender & Social Inclusion, and is implemented with humanitarian, transitional and development funding.
The Travel Assistant reports to the Assistant FAOR administration and receives guidance from a senior travel staff.
He/she acts independently in routine matters, in line with established policies and procedures.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Process travel expense claims, in accordance with the organization’s rules and policies; verify travel performed against appropriate entitlements;
• Identify, review and claim refunds of travel costs from travel agents or travellers and take necessary follow up action;
• Process authorized lump sum payments, travel advances and post-factum travel claims and verify their correctness;
• Provide travel assistance to staff on a day to day basis for travel arrangements and entitlements based on the organization’s rules and policies; liaise with relevant travel agents to ensure that the organization obtains the best service and price for all travel;
• Brief/de-brief staff members on issues relating to related administrative matters such as visas, security clearance, documentation procedures ,etc.
• Extract, input, maintain and verify correctness of travel records in the organization’s corporate travel system to ensure proper accounting transactions related to travel costs and staff travel;
• Assist in the preparation of budgets on travel costs and maintain travel budgetary and statistical control records;
• Assist in clearing outstanding travel-related balances through reviewing travellers’ recovery lists and taking the necessary follow-up action;
• Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Secondary School Education
• Five years of relevant experience in / office / administration/ Tourism / or Travel support work.
• Working knowledge of English and Arabic;
• National of Syria.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Good knowledge of financial rules and regulations, accounting policies and practices
• Good knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) corporate travel systems
• Good knowledge of communication and documentation standards