The Office of Climate Change, Biodiversity and Environment (OCB) promotes integration of innovative approaches in the activities of the Organization, for the sustainable use, management and conservation of natural resources for food and agriculture. OCB assists FAO Members in their responses towards the challenge of climate change mitigation and adaptation, as well as the development of adaptive capacities of agriculture, fisheries and forestry for conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity and other natural resources. It provides a coordination role in climate change, biodiversity and the environment. The Office also serves as the focal point for a multidisciplinary and global approach to UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change), CBD (Convention on Biological Diversity) and topics on bioenergy as well as on Globally Important Agricultural Heritage Systems, ecosystem restoration and green and climate resilient agriculture.
The Senior Natural Resources Officer reports to the Director, OCB
Normative and operational innovations to support agrifood system transformations that address climate change, biodiversity and environment, including country technical and policy support, building partnerships, stakeholder engagement and resource mobilization.
Leadership and technical policy expertise for the planning, development and implementation of Stream/ Divisional Programmes of work, projects, products, services in accordance with the FAO Strategic Objectives.
• Plans, manages, or leads highly specialized or multi-disciplinary teams, leads, coordinates, and/or participates in Organization-wide committees, project teams, and working groups, and/or provides technical leadership/secretariat services on technical networks and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
• Analyzes global and country specific requirements and relevant technical issues to provide critical input into the FAO Strategic Objectives, Programme of Work, work plans and the supporting budgets and/or resourcing strategies;
• Implements and monitors programmes of work involving the development of the approach, evidence based strategies, and related tools, methodologies and the supporting system/database, monitoring and reporting frameworks;
• Conducts, designs and oversees research and analysis of activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovation, technical reports, publications and/or on-going programme development as well as the provision of technical and/or policy advisory services;
• Provides technical and policy advice to Member countries and technical support to decentralized offices in the development and implementation of their programmes;
• Leads and/or collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to, and ensures the quality / effectiveness of, capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within Member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning, on-line tools;
• Represents the Organization at international meetings and conferences, identifies and implements strategic partnerships, advocates best practices and increased policy dialogue, and develops and negotiates effective working relationships/consensus and agreements with international and national stakeholders;
• Leads and/or participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Strategic Framework.
• Leads the OCB Workstream on Innovation for Sustainability and supports in the overall coordination, management, planning, implementation and reporting of OCB's related programmes and activities.
• Engages with FAO divisions and decentralized offices and coordinates with external partners in the development of innovations, addressing emerging priority areas and supporting the development of agricultural and food responses to climate change, biodiversity, desertification and the SDGs.
• Acts as OCB focal point for the Office of Innovation (OIN) and the office of the Chief Scientist, to bring the climate change, biodiversity and environment perspectives in support of the implementation of the FAO Science and Innovation Strategy.
• Coordinates the funding mobilization group of OCB, supports management in donor liaison, and leads project design and formulation efforts, in close coordination with the other Workstream Leaders, other FAO units and partners.
• Coordinates cross cutting teams in the development of concepts, methodologies, tools and indicators to support national stakeholders in the adoption of innovative solutions to promote sustainable agriculture and food system practices, programmes and policies..
• Implements the FAO Green Cities Initiative under the overall supervision and guidance of the concerned Deputy Director-General (DDG).
• Identifies technology and IT solutions to address specific national challenges and integrates such technologies in national projects and programmes, in close coordination with other Workstreams and FAO units at Headquarters and Decentralized Offices.
• Supports OCB’s development of innovative approaches to address socio-economic and environmental issues, including those related to gender, youth and people with disabilities, as well as approaches such as nature-based solutions.
• Designs and implements activities related to education, capacity building and public engagement around climate change, environment and biodiversity, including the use of behavioural science/insights approaches.
• Monitors policy, legal and technical developments at national, regional and international levels that are relevant to promote innovation in FAO's work on climate change, biodiversity and environment.
• Performs other relevant duties as required.
• Advanced university degree in natural resources, environment, agriculture, or related field;
• Ten years of relevant experience with international organizations related to development in climate change, biodiversity,
natural resources management and sustainable agricultural transitions, including experience in programme management, project design and coordinating fund mobilization and donor liaison.
• Working knowledge of English (proficient - level C) and limited knowledge (intermediate - level B) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Results Focus
• Leading, Engaging and Empowering
• Partnering and Advocating
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Strategic Thinking
• Work experience in more than one location and areas of work, particularly in field positions
• Proven ability to develop innovations that address sustainability issues within agriculture and food systems and extent of experience in approaches such as the green cities initiative, climate smart agriculture, agroecology and nature-based solutions.
• Extent of experience and knowledge in the use of GIS (Geographical Information System), IT and smart applications for supporting knowledge transfer, decision making and monitoring and evaluation.
• Extent of experience and knowledge in implementing projects and coordinating issues related to gender, youth and people with disabilities and experience in the use of behavioural science/insights to address issues such as barriers to adoption and social norms.
• Extent of knowledge and relevant experience in technical and policy matters related to climate change, biodiversity and sustainable transitions.
• Experience in planning and implementation of related programmes at different levels, extent of experience in leading the design of large and integrative projects and proven track record in fund mobilization with different donors and funding mechanisms (such as Green Climate Fund (GCF) and GEF (Global Environment Facility)).
• Proven track record of leading the development of innovations and their successful integration into organizations’ activities and programmes.
• Demonstrated skills and experiences in leading multidisciplinary teams and networks related to practices, policies, concepts and fund mobilization processes.
• Proven record of developing effective partnerships within and outside of the organization, working with government high-level officials and donors; as well as strong communication experience through different media.
• Demonstrated results-based management capabilities with an ability to formulate and manage programmes, projects, budgets and human resources efficiently under shifting priorities;
• Demonstrated ability to prepare, organize and monitor consultative multi-stakeholder processes and coordinate engagement in inter-governmental processes related to climate change, biodiversity and environment (in particular UNFCCC and CBD).
• Extent and relevance of experience in the preparation of technical and policy reports, guidelines and manuals;
• Working knowledge (proficient - level C) of French or Spanish is desirable.