Project Associate I – IRRI South Asia Hub, Hyderabad
ICRISAT seeks applications from dynamic Indian Nationals for the position of Project Associate I – IRRI South Asia Hub, Hyderabad. The incumbent will be based at ICRISAT Headquarters in Patancheru, Telangana State, India and would report to the Director – Business Development.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi- arid or dryland tropics has over 2 billion people and 644 million of these are the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT and its partners help empower these disadvantaged populations to overcome poverty, hunger and a degraded environment through better agricultural production systems.
ICRISAT is headquartered at Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and eight country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT envisions a prosperous, food-secure and resilient dryland tropics. Its mission is to reduce poverty, hunger, malnutrition and environmental degradation in the dryland tropics. ICRISAT conducts research on its mandate crops of chickpea, pigeonpea, groundnut, sorghum, pearl millet and finger millet in the arid and semi-arid tropics. The Institute focuses its work on the drylands and in protecting the environment. Tropical dryland areas are usually seen as resource-poor and perennially beset by shocks such as drought, thereby trapping dryland communities in poverty and hunger and making them dependent on external aid. Please visit – www.icrisat.org
Purpose of the Position:
The Project Associate will be working with the IRRI South Asia Hub team and in close collaboration with teams from ISARC, Varanasi, IRRI HQ, and NARES. The hired person will be responsible for developing different automation pipelines and maintaining/ optimizing developed and in-house models. The person will work starting from development to deployment of machine/ deep learning-based genomic prediction models for phenotyping traits.
· Perform analysis of NGS datasets falling statistical genetics such as genome-wide association study (GWAS), QTL mapping, and other trait discovery pipelines from germplasm/ bi-parental/multi-parental mapping populations for the desirable traits
· Implement genomic and phenotypic datasets on various mathematical models from the perspective of predictive modeling and machine learning techniques with R as well as python packages
· Explore the statistical ways to analyze, interpret, and present the data
· Coordinate closely with the IRRI HQ team, IRRI-SA team, project partners, and various other NAREs collaborators
· Engage with ISARC to aid build capacity in statistical genomics of NAREs partners
Qualifications and Experience:
· MSc in bioinformatics/computational biology/ computer science with a minimum of 1 year of post-MSc experience in the relevant area
· Respectable publication record, as evidenced by research papers in refereed journals
· Knowledge of prediction from parametric as well as non-parametric models
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 18 August 2022, with their latest Resume, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about their professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer