1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
"Improving national water sector standards and guidelines for enhanced climate change adaptation capacity."
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
The intern will help increase water sector operational resilience through better climate change adaptation in water sector investments and infrastructure management in PRC and Mongolia. This will be done through a comprehensive review of operational policies, including national standards, guidelines, and operations manuals and instructions, in water sector infrastructure planning, design, and management cycle against stated climate change objectives and requirements of the national government. Gaps related to outdated methodologies which do not have adequate consideration for climate change effects in areas such as water resources assessment, design flood protection levels, drought reoccurrence, irrigation water requirement, supply guarantee levels will be identified and assessed. The intern will therefore help ADB assess risks with insufficient protection against climate change effects in ADB investment projects, and support national governments identify and update those outdated policies, guidelines, standards, and operational manuals.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
• Duration: 8 weeks (with a possibility of extension)
• Timing: January 2023
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines (or virtually, depending on prevailing travel restrictions)
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
The assessment will contribute to improved understanding and capacity in planning, design, and management of water infrastructure constrained by often outdated national policies, standards, and guidelines which lack adequate consideration of climate change indued risks in PRC and Mongolia. It could also help ADB improve design of water sector projects, and DMCs update relevant policy documents.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program related to one of the following fields such as climate change, hydrology, water resources, irrigation, and water management.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
The candidate will have qualifications and/or experiences in civil engineering, preferably related to plan, design, or management of water infrastructure. He or she is familiar with climate change topics and climate change adaptation in general. He or she must process solid English skills. Knowledge of Chinese and/or Mongolian languages will be an additional asset.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application:
1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).