Since 2004, International IDEA has supported three main areas of the democratic process in Nepal: transition to peace and to a democratic system, constitution building and electoral processes. During the period 2004-2015, International IDEA’s main partners included the two Constituent Assemblies, their Legislature Parliaments and Secretariats, the Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development and the Election Commission of Nepal.
In 2015, once the new Constitution was promulgated and Nepal became a Federal Republic with three spheres of government – federal, provincial and local - International IDEA’s work shifted towards supporting the implementation of key constitutional provisions, supporting the newly introduced federal system by strengthening local government system through deliberative political decision-making processes, in partnership with the Ministry of Federal Affairs and General Administration (MOFAGA) and the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID). Support also included informing and engaging citizens about their rights, roles and responsibilities in Nepal’s new federal system of governance, with support from the Governance Facility (GF).
Since 2016, International IDEA has been supporting the implementation of Nepal’s Constitution by contributing to effective state capability in partnership with the relevant entities of the Government of Nepal – at federal, provincial and local spheres, as well as with key development partners, in addition, to continue supporting the meaningful engagement of citizens through civil society actors and partners.
The Finance and Administrative Officer is primarily responsible for maintaining the accounts for all projects within the Nepal Programme, ensuring payment processing and ERP encoding is updated daily, and monthly closure deadlines are met. The Finance and Administrative Officer has an in-depth understanding of International IDEA’s Finance and Accounting procedures manual, and procurement policy incorporates these into all facets of the role and supports the Nepal Finance and Administrative Manager with backstopping of country office compliance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Checks and processes invoices, petty cash, bank payments, project advance requests, travel claims and settlements pertaining to regional office (RAP) project transactions and ensures compliant filing of supporting documentation;
- Assists with expenditure control, ensuring adherence to International IDEA policies and procedures and advises team members on possible cost-saving measures;
- Assists in the planning and budgeting process; Monitors budget allocations and actual expenditure on a monthly basis and prepares monthly and quarterly forecasts;
- Assists with the audit process; Ensures relevant financial information is kept updated and made available to auditors to ensure the audit is conducted effectively and on time;
- Assists with expenditure control, ensuring adherence to International IDEA policies and procedures and advising team members on possible cost-saving measures;
- Operates and maintains the use of computerized accounting systems and spreadsheets to assist day-to-day accounting procedures and reporting requirements;
- Prepares, analyses and submits financial statements and reports;
- Produces and regularly updates cash flow forecasts and ensures timely remittance requests to ensure sufficient funds are available to meet programme commitments;
- Maintains financial records and ensures compliance with DFID and International IDEA financial policies and procedures.
- Clarifies financial information and requirements with diplomacy and clarity to team members and partners;
- Adds considerable value to team-based activities in his/her unit, and is likely to act as an informal resource for colleagues; collaborates with other entities of the Institute as required;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s Core Values: Respect, Integrity and Professionalism;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Finance and Administrative Manager
Education and Experience
- A university degree in finance, financial management, business administration, or other relevant disciplines;
- A minimum of three (3) years of professional experience working in bookkeeping, accounting, audit or financial management capacity, ideally for a development organisation, NGO, or well-regarded accounting/ financial services firm;
- Demonstrated experience working with cloud accounting systems is essential.
- Full or part professional qualifications in finance and accounting, for example, ACCA is considered advantageous;
- Knowledge of award and contract regulations and reporting requirements of DFID and/or other major donors is advantageous;
- Experience in working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization, is considered an advantage;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office package (including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and the Internet is required; Knowledge of ERP systems is desirable.
- Fluency in written and oral English and Nepali is required; Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region would be an asset.
Terms of Contract:
- Local Post.
- Fixed-term appointment until 30 June 2023
- Remuneration - NPR 157 670 Gross per month
Please note that as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to the relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Nepal for the duration of the contract. International IDEA is not able to support work permit applications for this position.
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 23:59 (CEST) 24th July 2022.
- Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a written test assessment and up to two (2) interviews.
- Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the process will be contacted once all applications have been carefully reviewed.
- All candidates will be notified of the status of their application via email once the process has been finalised.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.