Since 2004, International IDEA has supported three main areas of the democratic process in Nepal: transition to peace and to a democratic system, constitution building and electoral processes. During the period 2004-2015, International IDEA’s main partners included the two Constituent Assemblies, their Legislature Parliaments and Secretariats, the Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development and the Election Commission of Nepal.
In 2015, once the new Constitution was promulgated and Nepal became a Federal Republic with three spheres of government – federal, provincial and local - International IDEA’s work shifted towards supporting the implementation of key constitutional provisions, supporting the newly introduced federal system by strengthening local government system through deliberative political decision-making processes, in partnership with the Ministry of Federal Affairs and General Administration (MOFAGA) and the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID). Support also included informing and engaging citizens about their rights, roles and responsibilities in Nepal’s new federal system of governance, with support from the Governance Facility (GF).
Since 2016, International IDEA has been supporting the implementation of Nepal’s Constitution by contributing to effective state capability in partnership with the relevant entities of the Government of Nepal – at federal, provincial and local spheres, as well as with key development partners, in addition, to continue supporting the meaningful engagement of citizens through civil society actors and partners.
The Operations Officer contributes to the Nepal Programme by providing administrative and logistical support and assisting with the preparation and maintenance of contracts, records and files for the programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the implementation of the Nepal programme by providing procurement and administrative support, particularly relating to mentoring and field activities;
- Supports with personnel management of mentors, primarily:
- Contributes to the selection of mentors and coordinates logistical arrangements for interviews with timely dissemination of interview materials. Initiates and follows up on reference checks calculates fees and related benefits, and drafts contracts;
- processes monthly payroll for mentors;
- prepares mentor correspondence, reports, travel authorizations/claims;
- maintains mentor’s personal records and online data, ensuring all personnel documentation is complete, accurate and audit-ready;
- Monitors the schedule of the drivers for the office, and ensures the logbook is regularly updated; Produces monthly reports on the usage of vehicles vs. fuel consumption;
- Plans and coordinates all procurement and contracting activities, reviews and analyzes procurement requisitions;
- Assists with the drafting of Terms of Reference and other contractual documents for consultants and service providers;
- Assists in the preparation, review, negotiation and administration of contracts and purchase orders with specific vendors. Reviews cost proposals and pricing information;
- Compares bids from vendors and recommends to whom contracts will be awarded;
- Maintains a database of vendors' performance and quality of products; Processes procurement transactions through the ERP;
- Maintains inventory records of assets of International IDEA and programmes in line with the prescribed procedures;
- Maintains registration, filing and archiving of programme documentation.
- Adds considerable value to team-based activities in his/her unit, and is likely to act as an informal resource for colleagues; collaborates with other entities of the Institute as required;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s Core Values: Respect, Integrity and Professionalism;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Finance and Administrative Manager
Education and Experience
- University degree in Business Administration, Human Resources or other relevant disciplines;
- Minimum of three (3) years of working experience in administration, in the field of Procurement and/or Human Resources;
- Experience of working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization and experience of supporting staff in remote office locations is desirable;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office package (including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and the Internet is required; Knowledge of ERP systems is desirable.
- Fluency in written and oral English and Nepali is required; Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region would be an asset.
Terms of Contract:
- Local Post.
- Fixed-term appointment until 30 June 2023.
- Remuneration - NPR 157 670 Gross per month
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to the relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Nepal for the duration of the contract. International IDEA is not able to support work permit applications.
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 23:59 (CEST) 24th July 2022.
- Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a written test assessment and up to two (2) interviews.
- Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the process will be contacted once all applications have been carefully reviewed.
- All candidates will be notified of the status of their application via email once the process has been finalised.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.