The main aim of the FAO Syria Country Office is to assist government to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to develop the agricultural fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The Information Technology Assistant provides a large variety of standard Information Technology (IT) support services that contribute to the smooth and effective running of the IT equipment, systems and software applications of the division/ department in line with established IT procedures and Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
The Information Technology Assistant reports to the head of Administration and follows technical standards and procedures established by the IT Division. He / she acts independently in routine matters, in line with established policies and procedures. Supervision received is focused on divisional/ departmental IT priorities, in particular the meeting of timelines and the quality of support given to clients, and ensures learning opportunities
The incumbent has frequent interaction with staff at all levels within the work unit to resolve routine IT-related problems and coordinate IT service delivery. He /she works closely with the IT Division to ensure problem resolution and service delivery.
• Under the guidance and technical advice from the IT unit of the Regional Office and of the CSI Office shall act as first point of support in ICT matters. following established procedures and policies.
• Receive, log and monitor requests related to IT matter, in the Service Desk LANDesk system, resolve IT-related issues pertaining to FAO standard equipment, escalate those issues that cannot be solved to the IT Group of the Regional Office, monitor progress and ensure problem resolution.
• Install and configure standard desktop PCs and laptops as per established policies and procedures; assist in the configuration of backup procedures in the local computers.
• Operate and solve problems in the equipment of the office (printers, photocopiers, etc.) and maintain IT supplies.
• Provide guidance and training on IT services to the users, contribute actively with the Knowledge Base and CSI Consultation discussions.
• Liaise with external technical support providers (issues related with internet service providers, warranties and maintenance contracts of IT equipment, installation of structure cabling, etc), following up on user problems until resolution is achieved.
• Ensure the proper functioning and operation of the network and connectivity infrastructure of the office (wired or wireless LANs, routers, firewalls) for the access to internet and the network shared services (file/print services, security, email backups), and telephony services, as well as the continuous monitoring of the network in accordance with corporate policies established by the IT Division;
• Escalate to the IT Group of the Regional Office the requests for purchases of hardware and software, as well as IT initiatives in Projects or Regular Program, in accordance with the guidelines and procedures established by CSI making sure to have their validation and approval in case the office needs to procure hardware and software that are FAO non-standard compliance.
• Collaborate in the annual ITC replacement exercise, follow-up with the Regional IT Office for the approval of the exercise, of the equipment and software standard/non-standard.
• Monitor the Office’s Minimum Security Telecommunications Standard (MISTS) compliance and collaborate with other agencies as required;
• Maintain an inventory of computers, peripherals, software and MISTS equipment in COIN, GRMS, LANDesk; Monitor its status, ensure its appropriate maintenance, secure handling and storage, and track loaned equipment.
• Operation and support to users in the organization of presentations and configuration of the videoconference service.
• Ensure the maintenance and supervise the minimum standards compliance for the server room of the office in terms of order, cleanliness, proper temperature, etc.
• Ensure the operation of server’s backups, maintenance and upgrade of computers in the office, review of obsolete email accounts and cleanup.
• Provide support in missions or in case to Travel to the regional office, depending on the annual work plan.
• Perform other duties as required.
Impact Of Work
The incumbent's work impacts on the timely and efficient delivery of the division's/ department's work output. Actions reflect on the effective provision of the Organization's IT Service.
• University degree in Information Technology or related field of study,
• At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience in user Support for Microsoft Windows and Office software in WAN environment, experience with computer hardware repair and software configuration, Exchange, MS Outlook and experience in use of Help Desk (manage of incidents) or relevant experience in IT-support work.
• Working knowledge of English, Arabic.
• Syrian Nationality.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Good understanding of the IT infrastructure
• Good knowledge of IT governance policies and procedures
• Good problem solving skills related to IT issues