The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) is an international organisation comprised of 38 member countries, that works to build better policies for better lives. Our mission is to promote policies that will improve the economic and social well-being of people around the world. Together with governments, policy makers and citizens, we work on establishing evidence-based international standards, and finding solutions to a range of social, economic and environmental challenges. From improving economic performance and creating jobs to fostering strong education and fighting international tax evasion, we provide a unique forum and knowledge hub for data and analysis, exchange of experiences, best-practice sharing, and advice on public policies and international standard-setting.
Within the OECD's Executive Directorate (EXD), the Conference, Security and Infrastructure Service (EXD/CSI) is responsible for conference services, interpretation and translation services, security of OECD staff, delegates and visitors and the management and operation of OECD buildings, including fire safety, in Paris and at OECD Centres abroad. The Conference and Security Division (EXD/CSI/CSD) of the Executive Directorate manages the provision of all interpretation services for OECD meetings.
Within EXD/CSI/CSD, the Interpretation Service is looking for two interpreters, one full-time, one part-time (50%) who will provide interpretation services to a very high standard, in both official languages of the OECD: from French into English, from English into French and from Spanish into English or French. The selected candidates will work under the supervision of the Chief Interpreter.
- Interpret consecutively and simultaneously in the two official languages of the Organisation (English and French),
as well as from Spanish, at high level and at very technical meetings.
- Act as an intermediary between the interpretation Service and the organisers to supervise the material and technical organisation of meetings with interpretation.
- As team leader, coordinate and supervise teams of freelance interpreters for multilingual or high-level events. Provide feedback on their performance (quality control) and maintain a strong presence in the wider interpretation network for the recruitment of future freelancers.
- Provide background information and feedback useful to staff interpreters.
- Assist the Chief Interpreter and his Deputy with all activities related to the provision of interpretation services as needed.
- Keep abreast of developments in the main areas of the Organisation's work and study topics for discussion at meetings with specialists.
- Prepare thoroughly all assigned meetings in a very wide array of subject areas.
- Develop, update and disseminate glossaries in an effort to provide linguistic and technical accuracy as well as standardised terminology across teams of interpreters.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- An advanced university degree in conference interpretation or equivalent professional qualification.
- An advanced university degree or qualification in a subject relevant to the Organisation's work would be an advantage.
- At least five years’ experience as an interpreter, including relevant experience as a professional conference interpreter in an international and intergovernmental context at high-level meetings.
- Experience in consecutive interpretation would be an advantage.
- Experience in coordination and organisation of interpreting services and/or active involvement in professional bodies would be an advantage.
- Experience working in a multicultural environment would be an advantage.
- Proven experience in interpretation on remote-conferencing platforms (RSI).
- Proven experience in the use of one or more IT tools for in-booth document and terminology retrieval would be an advantage.
- Ability to adapt to new systems.
- Working knowledge of basic computer applications such as Microsoft Office.
- Outstanding oral and written knowledge of the two OECD official languages (English and French) and proven interpreter competence in both, as well as from Spanish.
- Knowledge and interpreter competence in one other language relevant to the Organisation's work (e.g. Portuguese, Chinese, Italian, etc.) would be a major advantage.
- For this role, the following competencies would be particularly important: Achievement focus, Flexible thinking, Teamwork and Team leadership, Client focus, Diplomatic sensitivity, Organisational knowledge.
- Please refer to the level 3 indicators of the OECD Core Competencies.
- Two-year fixed term appointment, with the possibility of renewal.
What the OECD offers
- Monthly base salary starting from 7 784 EUR (full-time), 3 892 EUR (part-time 50%), plus allowances based on eligibility, exempt of French income tax.
- Click here to learn more about what we offer and why the OECD is a great place to work.
- Click here to browse our People Management Guidebook and learn more about all aspects relating to people at the OECD, our workplace environment and many other policies supporting staff in their daily life.
Please note that the appointment may be made at a lower grade based on the qualifications and professional experience of the selected applicant.
The OECD is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes the applications of all qualified candidates who are nationals of OECD member countries, irrespective of their racial or ethnic origin, opinions or beliefs, gender, sexual orientation, health or disabilities.
The OECD promotes an optimal use of resources in order to improve its efficiency and effectiveness. Staff members are encouraged to actively contribute to this goal.
This job is no longer available.