At CSIS we actively seek to employ a diverse group of people who embody our organizational values. We welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply, especially those from traditionally underrepresented groups.
The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers in government, international institutions, the private sector, and civil society. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of more than 200 employees working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
The CSIS Middle East Program seeks a creative, hard-working, and energetic junior staffer to work on a range of substantive and administrative activities in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment. The Program is aiming for a June 1, 2022, start date. The successful candidate will be a team player, possess excellent communication skills, and have a keen interest in and aptitude for the Middle East and public policy. The position reports directly to the Director of the Middle East Program.
The successful candidate for this position will have a superb grounding in Middle East studies and strong interest in supporting a broad regional portfolio. They will have exceptional analytical skills and a bias for action. She/he will have robust research and writing skills, including resourcefulness and creativity in identifying sources and the ability to process large amounts of information to discern what is important. She/he will also be a proactive self-starter and goals-oriented in balancing a diverse array of tasks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Supporting the work of the Program through independent research for research projects, publications, multimedia, and speaking engagements.
• Editing and fact-checking program materials with a critical perspective and strong attention to detail.
• Contributing to the planning, execution, and follow-up for all program events and special projects.
• Providing substantial administrative support, including for Program external communications (social media accounts and email distributions).
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
• A Bachelor’s degree in Middle East Studies, International Affairs, Political Science, or a related field and a strong demonstrated interest in the Middle East.
• 1–2 years related research and administrative experience. Internships may be counted towards this experience.
• Demonstrable and strong research, writing, and communication skills.
• Strong organizational and time management skills, along with as an ability to work well independently and in groups.
• Highly coachable and receptive to feedback.
• Strong written and spoken Arabic skills.
Strongly preferred qualifications:
• Experience studying or working in the Middle East.
• In-depth knowledge of at least one Middle Eastern country, combined with an ability to look broadly at the region.
• Demonstrated interest in/experience with at least one of four thematic lenses for studying the Middle East: environment & governance, humanitarian aid & reconstruction, great powers & geostrategy, social and political change.
• Native/bilingual fluency in both written and spoken Arabic and English.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit a résumé, cover letter, all college transcripts, and a 5-page writing sample (excerpts acceptable) at https://careers.csis.org/ Candidates should also submit two letters of recommendation to email@example.com. Qualified candidates will not be interviewed until their letters of recommendation have been received.