Counsel / Senior Counsel - Private Sector Investment and Treasury Finance
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow—infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 104 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized up to USD100 billion and Triple-A-rated by the major international credit rating agencies. Working with partners, AIIB meets clients’ needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
The Counsel/Senior Counsel – Private Sector Investment and Treasury Finance will be responsible for providing legal and policy advice in relation to AIIB’s private sector investment operations (including secured and unsecured loans, equity investments, participation in private equity funds, guarantees and other risk-sharing products) and finance/treasury operations (including funding, derivatives, liquid asset management and other finance matters), with a view to ensuring the provision of the highest standards of legal advice and documentation, protection of AIIB’s interests and compliance with AIIB’s mandate, policies and procedures. The Counsel/Senior Counsel is also expected to work across functional boundaries as assigned by line managers from time to time.
- Advise in carrying out AIIB’s policy mandate in the context of AIIB’s investments with a view to ensuring compliance with AIIB’s environmental standards and other policy requirements.
- Advise in the structuring of transactions, selecting and managing external legal counsel, drafting and negotiating transaction documents, handling signings and closings and assisting with the legal aspects of project monitoring.
- Support the development of AIIB's template legal agreements.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other multilateral development banks (MDBs) and development partners to further AIIB’s investment operations.
- Provide high-quality legal and policy advice to the Investment Operations, Treasury, Controller, Risk Management and other business units of the Bank.
- Research, write and present on legal issues and draft and negotiate legal texts.
- Promote innovative approaches and seek process and product simplification, working within and developing the institution’s internal legal framework.
- Develop and maintain legal document templates to ensure adherence to best practices and applicable law and to define and reflect relevant AIIB standards and policies.
- Display good judgment and be answerable for the work product and advice provided, contribute to institutional initiatives and advise on the application of policies and procedures.
- Minimum 5-8 years (for Counsel) and 8-10 years (for Senior Counsel) of relevant post-qualification practice experience, at least part of which was spent preferably at a top-tier international law firm.
- Relevant professional experience with English law-governed financing agreements in one or more of the following fields:
Cross-border lending transactions involving taking of security.
Cross-border private equity investments.�
Cross-border capital markets transactions.
- An understanding of the legal aspects of investment operations of multilateral banks.
- Excellent command of English, including drafting and negotiating legal documents in English.
- Ability to communicate with and convince internal and external stakeholders at a high level with appropriate legal solutions (including the ability to negotiate complex legal documents with counterparties at a senior level for Senior Counsel).
- Experience in working collaboratively in a cross-cultural environment.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent legal drafting and legal advisory abilities.
- Intellectual leadership and strong interpersonal, diplomatic and partnership skills.
- Ability to innovate while mitigating legal risk.
- Superior level of resourcefulness, ability to work autonomously and under pressure.
- Strong communication skills, including speaking persuasively and presenting ideas clearly.
- Advanced law degree and qualified to practice law in at least one jurisdiction; candidates from civil law jurisdictions would ideally have a post-graduate law degree from a common law jurisdiction.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.
Join us and help create a prosperous and sustainable Asia while growing your career in a diverse and innovative environment.
* Closing Date: All opportunities close at 11:59 p.m. (GMT+8) on the dates listed.
** Job Type: Recruitment of staff is conducted through a merit-based competitive selection process. AIIB shall strive to provide employment opportunities open to all suitably qualified applicants, regardless of religion, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation or nationality.