Our model for success is a better life for everyone and purposeful tasks for our employees. For more than 50 years, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), as a company of the German Federal Government, has been supporting the implementation of development policy goals worldwide. Together with partner organisations in more than 130 countries, we are involved in a diverse range of projects. If you want to make a difference in the world and develop yourself in the process, you've come to the right place.
- Job-ID: V000048498
- Location: Soroti
- Assignment period: 05/01/2022 - 06/30/2024
- Field: Peace, Security and Emergency
- Type of employment: full-time
- Application deadline: 02/10/2022
Land ownership and land use are increasingly subject to dispute in Northern Uganda. The GIZ Civil Peace Service supports civil society organisations and networks in the Acholi, Karamoja and Teso sub-regions of Northern Uganda which are working on various dimensions of land conflicts. The programme promotes the participatory transformation of land conflicts using a multi-stakeholder approach where over 150 stakeholders are engaged in 14 networks (or so-called Interest Groups) which comprise of women's organisations, academic institutions, faith-based organisations, representatives of local governments and traditional leaders. The aim of this network approach is to enable the respective stakeholders to coordinate their interventions to prevent violence and transform land conflicts. In particular, they are expected to contribute to enhanced land management structures and mechanisms as well as improving the situation of land rights in the respective regions. The programme will focus on dealing with past conflicts and experiences of violence that have an impact on today's conflicts.
- Advise CPS partner networks/interest groups in the Teso sub-region in their strategic planning as well as implementation and evaluation of conflict-sensitive interventions
- Support CPS partners in the design and implementation of capacity building activities and in the production and dissemination of information material
- Advise stakeholders in developing their network-structures and support the information flow and knowledge transfer within and between partner networks/organisations
- Support the CPS team in operational planning and transaction to the new programme phase, especially on topics like peace building, conflict transformation or dealing with the past
- Support and strengthen the capacities of alternative dispute resolution mechanisms in the Teso sub-region in their abilities to deal with past and present land related conflicts
- Support capacities of local partners and staff to organise, implement and maintain strategic dialogue platforms
- Enhance the integration of cross-cutting topics like Do-No-Harm, human rights, gender equality and participatory approaches within partner networks/organisations
- University degree in the field of peace and conflict research, organisational development, psychology, sociology or comparable qualification
- Working experience in participatory, needs-oriented planning and implementation of projects for peacebuilding and conflict transformation, profound knowledge of conflict transformation methods and tools
- Practical experience in the organisation and moderation of workshops and trainings, experience in the use of participatory methods
- Expertise in consultancy and advisory as well as experience in the support of networks with different stakeholders of different levels
- Knowledge in mediation and dealing with the past
- Knowledge and experience in the field of land rights and conflicts in Africa, adult education, work experience in rural areas and digital competencies are added advantages
- Proven capacity in analytical and strategic thinking and ability to express complex content easily and understandably
- Fluency in English, other language skills are of advantage
Place of residence: Soroti, Teso sub-region with frequent travels • Climate: Weather in Soroti is influenced by tropical wet & dry climate. Winter dry season • Healthcare: Basic services available, good services available in Kampala • Shopping facilities: Good in Soroti, all specialized and imported products available in Kampala • School situation: Location is not recommended for families with children of school age
In general, the security situation is calm. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. GIZ runs a professional security risk management system in the field of deployment. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Willingness to travel on a regular basis is required.
For general questions from dependent partners about local employment - please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
A prerequisite for the conclusion of the agreement is the lifting of the restrictions currently in force in the company on the possibilities for travel and business trips in order to contain the worldwide spread of the Covid-19 virus.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.