Our model for success is a better life for everyone and purposeful tasks for our employees. For more than 50 years, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), as a company of the German Federal Government, has been supporting the implementation of development policy goals worldwide. Together with partner organisations in more than 130 countries, we are involved in a diverse range of projects. If you want to make a difference in the world and develop yourself in the process, you've come to the right place.
- Job-ID: V000048149
- Location: Bahir Dar
- Assignment period: 08/01/2022 - 09/30/2024
- Field: Rural Development
- Type of employment: full-time
- Application deadline: 05/30/2022
Livelihood and social harmony in rural and urban communities anywhere depend on access to and proper utilization of land. However, the excessive use of land resources has led to resource depletion, loss of biodiversity, conflicts and internal displacements. This is also true for Ethiopia. The intervention aims to improve the institutional capacities of and regulatory framework for national and regional authorities on integrated land use planning in areas with high land competition in accordance with international human rights standards and by improving the education and training opportunities for integrated land use planning professionals at different levels.
- Advise the regional planning authorities in applying the spatial planning instruments of the state administration and strengthen their procedural reliability and technical capability in this regard
- Strengthen regional planning authorities through organisational development measures, including the establishment of spatial planning review authorities at regional level for land-use-related development projects
- Identify capacity gaps of regional planning authorities and support training activities of existing staff at regional level e.g. on conflict-sensitive planning methodologies, data management, GIS, creation and analysis of maps for different sectors, mediation techniques, etc.
- Support to awareness-raising activities, especially for the establishment of the regional steering bodies for the spatial planning process, as well as the preparation of the planning process
- Support the development and implementation of a representative and human rights-compliant participation mechanism for private sector and civil society, including disadvantaged groups, as well as in the design of negotiation and decision-making mechanisms on land use
- Regionally coordinate with external consultants and service providers
- University degree in spatial planning, geography, peace and conflict studies, organizational development, development studies or similar qualification
- Several years of professional experience in spatial planning or integrated land use planning, preferably in the development context or hotspot areas
- Knowledge of conflict resolution mechanisms, mediation processes, human-rights based approaches and gender-transformative approaches
- Some experience in land governance, strengthening citizens’ participation, transparency and organizational development
- Experience in advising, coaching, training and application of participatory tools would be an advantage
- Intercultural skills with respect to cultural communication and interaction forms
- Work experience in development cooperation, ideally in East Africa / the Horn of Africa
- Good English skills; willingness to learn the Amharic language
We are pleased to offer you a first impression on topics such as climate, shopping and services, the school situation and health care in Ethiopia.
The security situation is critically tense. It requires continuous monitoring and special security risk mitigation measures for GIZ staff. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. GIZ runs a professional security risk management system in the field of deployment. The freedom of movement is severely restricted.
Further information on country-specific advice from the Federal Foreign Office at https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Willingness to travel on a frequent and regular basis is required, mainly to Assosa (Bengishangul-Gumuz Region) and Oromia Region.
For general questions from dependent partners about on-site employment - Feel free to contact us at: email@example.com.
Please observe the provisions of the country-specific vaccination regulations for entry and work in the country of assignment - in particular also regarding COVID-19.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.