UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The UN Women Country Office (CO) Kazakhstan is based in Nur-Sultan. CO programming includes support to Government and civil society organizations in the development and implementation of innovative approaches aimed at achieving gender equality and women’s empowerment. In Kazakhstan, UN Women supports efforts of the national partners and UN agencies in implementation of gender equality commitments in compliance with the UN human rights conventions ratified by Kazakhstan. It provides strong and coherent technical support of gender equality priorities in national and UN efforts and support to build effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors. It strengthens coordination on gender equality and women’s empowerment programming and enhances cooperation for gender responsive post-2015 development agenda’s implementation (Sustainable Development Goals, focusing on SDG 5) at the national and sub-regional levels.
Reporting to the UN Women Kazakhstan’s Communications Analyst, the Consultant will work in close collaboration with Programme colleagues of the Office.
The Consultant will work under the supervision of UN Women Communications Analyst with matrix management of Programme Management Specialists to perform the tasks, that include but are not limited to the following:
Designing publications, including cover pages, layout, tables and typesetting using approved templates (if any).
- Conceptualize, design and layout of high-quality innovative, user-friendly, creative and attention-grabbing materials, such as publications, factsheets, reports, data dashboard, interactive/digital e- brochure/publications etc.
- Conceptualize, design and layout print and web-based campaign and advocacy materials, promotion and any other communications materials that require creative graphic design
- Revise the statistical publications and other dissemination products developed by Kazakhstan CO and develop specific recommendation to improve the format and layout.
- Conceptualize and develop animation videos, graphics and infographics to communicate key achievements on Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment in Kazakhstan, including country specific case regarding the implementation of international commitment
- The developed products should be created for printing and specific use on web and social media, if required.
Designing other communications and visibility materials, including PowerPoint presentations and videos.
- Conceptualize, design and layout other communications and visibility materials, including but not limited to PowerPoint presentations and videos.
- Explore and propose ways to convey information through animation elements, if requested
Liaise with the printing/ production facilities and provide them with all relevant production-related information, including quality control to ensure accurate and high-quality work.
- Messages should be positive and empowering and reflect the programme’s expected results to improve the access and use of gender statistics to inform policy decisions and programmes on gender equality and women empowerment;
- Materials should be designed in such a way that they can be updated and adjusted for future use (all colours, pantones, fonts, inserted bitmaps or any other used resource should be included in the design package; fonts should not be converted to outlines in order to follow further edits and adaptations in the future);
- The design of the materials should be consistent with UN Women Branding and Communications Guidelines.
High quality design printed materials, including publications, graphics and infographics etc. complying with agreed formats and communication objectives.
The deadline of submission for each assignment will be indicated with the instructions for each assignment.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, animation, communications and/or visual arts. A Technical degree in combination with relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the bachelor’s degree.
- At least 5 years of proven professional experience in animation, graphic design and layout work.
- Experience on development of communications materials on gender is an asset.
- Working experience with National Statistical Offices and/or research institutions is an asset.
- Working experience with UN and/or international organizations is an asset.
Languages and other skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of relevant software for production of high-quality publications, ready-to-print files and electronic versions for web-posting (including Adobe Suite/CC such as Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, After Effects etc).
- Solid understanding of printing and production matters and knowledge of different formats for printing.
- Excellent written and oral skills in English. Knowledge of Kazakh and Russian is an asset.
Interested candidates should apply via jobs-admin.undp.org.
The application should include:
- Cover letter to include a brief overview in English (unedited text) about which of your previous experiences makes you the most suitable candidate for the advertised position.
- P11 with past experience in similar assignments; can be downloaded at https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-P11-Personal-History-Form.doc a signed copy should be submitted.
- Financial Proposal (Specifying a total lump sum amount for the tasks specified in this Terms of Reference). The financial proposal shall represent daily rate in KZT.
- Previous Work - The candidate should provide a portfolio with at least 3 examples of graphic design, including publication layout and infographics developed in the last two years, preferably using and transforming data into user friendly format and messages.
Only candidates who have passed the preliminary selection will be informed.
Kindly note, that the system will only allow one attachment, hence all supporting documents e.g. P11, CV, cover letter must be scanned as one attachment. Applications without the completed UNDP P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
Management and financial arrangements
The contractor will report to and work under direct supervision of UN Women Communications Analyst.
The consultant will be engaged under a retainer contract, which facilitate direct engagement of the consultant depending on need and availability within the contract period for a pre-agreed fee.
Payments will be disbursed upon submission and approval of deliverables and certification by UN Women Kazakhstan CO that the services have been satisfactorily performed and based on the filled-out timesheet, specifying the number of days spent on each deliverable.
Consultants will be evaluated using a cumulative analysis method taking into consideration the combination of qualifications and financial proposal.
The candidates must possess following minimum qualification criteria as listed above (Qualifications/Experience/Language).
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points in the technical evaluation would be considered for financial evaluation.
TECHNICAL EVALUATION (70%)
Fluency in written and spoken English
Knowledge of KAZAKH and RUSSIAN
Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, animation, communications and/or visual arts. A Technical degree or certificate in combination with relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the bachelor’s degree
0: without relevant university degree
0-10: relevant university degree
At least 5 years of professional experience in animation, graphic design and layout work
0: without relevant experience
0-10: 5 years of experience
10-20: more than 5 years of experience
Experience on development of communications materials on gender issues is an asset
0: without experience/expertise
0-5: 5 years of experience
5-10: more than 5 years of experience
Specialized Knowledge and Experience
Demonstrated knowledge and experience of relevant software for production of high-quality publications, ready-to-print files and electronic versions for web-posting (including Adobe Suite/CC such as Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, After Effects etc)
0: without experience
0-10: proven relevant experience
Solid understanding of printing and production matters and knowledge of different formats for printing
0: without experience/expertise
0-5: proven relevant knowledge and expertise
Previous experience on designing of different communication products using statistical data and information is an asset
0: without experience
0-10: demonstrated experience
Previous experience with development agencies and/or the United Nations is an asset
0: without experience
0-5: demonstrated experience
Financial Evaluation (30%)
The maximum number of points assigned to the financial proposal is allocated to the lowest price proposal. All other price proposals receive points in inverse proportion.
Evaluation of submitted financial offers will be done based on the following formula: p = 30 (µ/z), using the following values:
p = points for the financial proposal being evaluated
µ = price of the lowest priced proposal
z = price of the proposal being evaluated
Max 30 Points