Our model for success is a better life for everyone and purposeful tasks for our employees. For more than 50 years, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), as a company of the German Federal Government, has been supporting the implementation of development policy goals worldwide. Together with partner organisations in more than 130 countries, we are involved in a diverse range of projects. If you want to make a difference in the world and develop yourself in the process, you've come to the right place.
- Job-ID: V000047086
- Location: Cairo
- Assignment period: 01/01/2022 - 06/30/2024
- Field: Rural Development
- Type of employment: full- or part-time
- Application deadline: 12/13/2021
The Programme works within the irrigated agriculture sub-sector to support the Ministry of Agriculture and Land Reclamation (MALR) and delta governorates to improve the water use efficiency in areas with regard to the state agricultural advisory services on water-saving cultivation practices, to adapt to the Climate change and to support more efficient irrigation. It aims at the expansion of the range of services offered by agricultural cooperatives for more efficient and climate-sensitive use of water resources and water loss reduction in irrigation. It initiates innovative measures and digital applications for efficient water use by smallholder farms and aims to strengthen the technical and organizational basis for climate-sensitive water demand planning and efficient operation as well as maintenance of improved irrigation infrastructure.
- Technical and organizational management of the subsector agriculture as well as Budget planning, operational planning and reporting of the results achieved to the Counterpart, GIZ and the Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
- Advising and assisting the MALR and sub-state secretaries of two delta governesses and the executive organizations in planning, organizing and implementing the activities of the sub-sector component
- Leading a team of local and international experts
- Quality assurance, impact monitoring and knowledge management for further development of the conceptual design of the sub-sector components
- Selection and management of national and international short-term and long-term consultants as well as their work results
- Managing international and national tenders and contracts
- Cooperation and exchange with other bilateral and multilateral programmes and donors in the water sector and development partner groups on water and agriculture
- Supporting the programme manager in the external presentation of the programme at GIZ, BMZ and German delegations
- University degree in agriculture, irrigation, environmental or comparable courses
- Several years of professional experience in the implementation of international development cooperation projects in the field of irrigated agriculture at home and abroad
- In-depth knowledge of strategies and mechanisms in the area of value chains
- Good sense of political and technical advice at all hierarchical levels
- Experience in the design of participatory coordination processes
- Excellent management and network skills
- Experience in leading international or local teams
- Fluency in English; Knowledge of German and another language e.g. Arabic, is an advantage
Cairo is the political, economic and cultural centre of Egypt. The city is the seat of the Egyptian government, parliament, all state authorities and numerous diplomatic missions. A wide array of German and international schools exists; multilingual kindergartens and nurseries offer day-care for toddlers. Adequate medical care is guaranteed in Cairo through private doctors and hospitals. In addition to world-famous archaeological sites, universities, theatres and museums contribute to a diverse cultural life.
Cairo International Airport offers good flight connections, including daily flights to various airports in Germany; the flight time is about four hours. The security situation is largely stable and the crime rate comparatively low. In addition, taxi applications offer a high degree of security and mobility inside the city. A partial travel alert exists for the Northern Sinai; GIZ Risk Management, based in Cairo, continuously evaluates the security situation and provides information on current developments. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
Cairo has a warm, dry, desert climate with an average daily temperature of 22°C; from May to September, the maximum temperature can reach 40°C. The increased fine dust pollution can be reduced in offices and private homes through air filters provided by GIZ.As part of the selection process and during the recruitment examination you will be informed of appropriate protective and behavioral measures. Further information can be found on the website of the German Embassy in Cairo (https://kairo.diplo.de/eg-de).
The GIZ offers an additional benefits package for deployments in fragile security situations.
This position is suited to a full or a part-time position.
We are happy to help accompanying partners discuss questions about benefits, residence permits and how to find your own job locally - feel free to get in touch with us during your application phase at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.