Job Title: Senior Director of Human Resources & Strategic Planning
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Zanmi Lasante (ZL) is a Haitian organization based in Cange, Central Plateau, and Artibonite with administrative offices in Santo, Port-au-Prince. ZL is a well-known not-for-profit organization, the mission of which is to provide a preferential option to the poor in healthcare. ZL works closely with its sister organization Partners In Health (PIH), based in Boston, United States, to bring the benefits of modern medical science to those most in need of them and to serve as an antidote to despair. PIH delivers clinical services, training and research programs in 11 countries (Haiti, Peru, Russia, Rwanda, Lesotho, Malawi, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Mexico, Kazakhstan, Navajo Nation) and has a growing number of affiliated organizations and initiatives in many other countries such as Nepal, Burundi, Mali, Guatemala and Togo.
The organization works relentlessly to bring solutions to important challenges while its growing exposure is accelerating important changes in existing programs such as HIV and TB, maternal and child health, nutrition, health promotion and community health, mental health, non-communicable diseases, etc. ZL is always actively seeking new, qualified and talented individuals to join its team and further its mission.
Job Description Overview
The Senior Director of Human Resources and Strategic Planning will serve as a key member of Zanmi Lasante’s Senior Leadership Team and act as an advisor alongside other Senior Directors to the Executive Director and Senior Leadership Team on organizational issues and strategy. The Senior Director of Human Resources and Strategic Planning has ultimate responsibility in overseeing administrative functions for ZL programs, including oversight of Human Resources and overall organizational internal policies and network optimization efforts. This position is accountable for the implementation of enhanced HR and standardized systems and processes, including the operationalization of key improvement projects in staff performance and management and standardized operational processes and procedures across the entirety of the Zanmi Lasante network. The Senior Director will support institutional organizational improvements in line with industry standard best practices, and provide strategic oversight for strengthened organizational changes.
Organizational Strategy and Vision
- Collaborate with the Senior Leadership Team to develop and advise on a 5 year strategy and ten year vision for the organization and ensure its translation to tactical, multi-year work plans
- Provide leadership, strategic guidance and direct oversight for strengthening organizational administrative systems in human resources and internal standard operating procedures and processes, in collaboration with Senior Leadership Team
- Work in close collaboration with the Executive Director to reinvigorate cross-network meetings and monthly communications (in partnership with Marcomms team) to all Zanmi Lasante staff, with emphasis on fostering strong morale and network-wide sense of pride and unity
- Work closely with the Executive Director to oversee reorganization and improvements of HR functions and staff, and drive the development of new procedures and policies in accordance with industry best practice
- Maintain operationalization and harmonizing of large-scale HR systems improvements across all ZL programming, including the establishment of a Senior Leadership Team, reorganization of staffing structures, and standardized compensation bands
- Support and mentor Director of Human Resources to oversee all aspects of effective staff recruitment, management, and retention, including creation, maintenance and implementation oversight of cross-department staff policies and procedures, orientation and training.
- Oversee initiatives to orient staff members to PIH’s mission and facilities morale boosting initiatives for enhanced cohesion amongst staff and programs, including promotion of staff wellness activities with support from cross-site Staff Wellness team
- Ensure active implementation of equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts across the organization, with support from Coordination Site EDI team
- Supervise Director of Human Resources in overseeing all payroll information and maintenance of payroll guidelines in collaboration with Finance team colleagues
- Oversee timely and accurate staff salary payments in line with compensation bands
- Provide strategic support on payroll and HR auditing processes
Internal Policies and Procedures
- Ensure the organization meets all legal requirements, PIH policies and financial and procurement best practices; and ensure that these processes are regularly audited to ensure a high standard of conduct
- Supervise Internal Policies Manager in developing and implementing regular risk management plans
- Provide oversight on disciplinary/investigation situations and support Internal Policies Manager in carrying out standardized investigation procedures
- Oversee and implement standardized measures in accordance with the ZL/PIH handbook
- Bachelor of business or similar professional training in Human Resources and related fields with the equivalent of 6 years of hands-on experience; Masters in Human Resource Management a plus
- Demonstrated expertise in technical competencies, including performance management, compensation and wage structure, diversity, equity, and inclusion strategies, and employment law
- Strong written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and problem-solving abilities
- Willingness to travel to remote parts of the country with limited degree of infrastructure development
- Exemplary interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate effectively with culturally diverse staff across departments and country
- Willingness to live and work full-time in a rural setting
- Ability to communicate with diverse groups, maintain strict confidentiality, meet deadlines and schedules, set priorities, and work with detailed information/data
- Ability to work well in a dynamic team environment alongside health workers, senior management team, support staff, and patients
Partners In Health (PIH) is committed to the fundamental principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every prospective and current employee. It is the policy of PIH not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, creed, disability, sex and gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. PIH works in and with a number of governments in and outside the U.S., and to the extent applicable, this statement is intended to incorporate the prohibition of any unlawful discrimination covered by applicable laws in such countries, states and municipalities.