Counsel / Senior Counsel - Institutional and Administrative
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow—infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 103 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized up to USD100 billion and Triple-A-rated by the major international credit rating agencies. Working with partners, AIIB meets clients’ needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
The mission of the Legal Department (LEG) is to sustain AIIB's mandate-based multilateral development financing by protecting the Bank’s international legal status, helping the Bank make good decisions, and safeguarding the Bank against legal risks through authoritative, actionable, and impartial legal advice and services. LEG provides advice to the Bank’s management and governing bodies on all legal aspects of the Bank’s investment, financial, institutional, and administrative activities.
- Provide legal and policy advice and support to the Office of the President and the Corporate Secretary Vice Presidency on the outreach to members; admission of new members; preparations for, and conduct of, the meetings of the Board of Governors, the Board of Directors; and other governance‑related matters.
- Provide legal advice on the interpretation of AIIB’s constituent instrument and other legal instruments adopted or issued by the governing organs of AIIB.
- Draft and negotiate legal instruments with members on AIIB’s privileges and immunities.
- Advise the Administration Vice Presidency on administrative legal matters, including those in relation to human resources management, corporate procurement and the use of information technology.
- Advise the ethics, integrity and ombuds functions.
- Provide support to the development of AIIB’s internal legal framework.
- Conduct research and draft memoranda, correspondence, legal opinions, papers, and notes concerning institutional and administrative issues.
- Promote innovative approaches and seek improvement of work process and product.
- Coordinate and collaborate in the legal field with other MDBs and development partners to advance AIIB’s purpose and objectives in assigned areas.
- Display good judgment and be answerable for the work product and advice provided.
- Contribute to institutional, departmental or unit initiatives, including knowledge management and publications.
- Perform other assignments at the General Counsel’s request to further the effective performance of the functions of the Legal Department.
- Minimum 5 years (for Counsel) and 8 years (for Senior Counsel) of relevant professional experience, preferably wide-ranging experience in the relevant aspects of national governments' and/or international organizations’ legal work. Applicants, however, are not required to have professional experience in all the fields outlined above.
- Excellent command of English, including drafting and negotiating legal documents in English.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent legal drafting and legal advisory abilities.
- Effective communication skills, including speaking persuasively and presenting ideas clearly.
- Intellectual leadership and strong interpersonal, diplomatic and partnership skills.
- Ability to innovate while mitigating legal risk.
- Superior level of resourcefulness, ability to work autonomously and under pressure.
- Advanced law degree and qualified to practice law in at least one jurisdiction.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.
Join us and help create a prosperous and sustainable Asia while growing your career in a diverse and innovative environment.
* Closing Date: All opportunities close at 24:00 GMT+8 on the dates listed.
** Job Type: Recruitment of staff is conducted through a merit-based competitive selection process. AIIB shall strive to provide employment opportunities open to all suitably qualified applicants, regardless of religion, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation or nationality.