UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The International Trade Centre (ITC) is the joint technical cooperation agency of the World Trade Organization and the United Nations. ITC is implementing a 4 year trade related technical assistance project in Ukraine, funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency.
The project helps Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) in the fruits and vegetables sector from three southern regions of Ukraine to integrate into global and domestic value chains and access new markets, with a focus on the EU. The project assists SMEs to produce goods in accordance with market requirements, improving the capacities of business support organizations to provide quality services to SMEs, and linking pilot SMEs to target markets, particularly within the EU.
The project is organized around the following four outputs:
Output 1: Roadmap developed for selected value chains in the fruits and vegetables sector
Output 2: Capacities of SMEs strengthened to improve international competitiveness
Output 3: Capacities of Business Service Organizations (BSOs) strengthened to provide SMEs with relevant business support services
Output 4: Business linkages created for SMEs to expand sales in both domestic and international markets, in particular the EU.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the ITC Programme Coordinator, the National Project Manager is responsible for effective delivery of project activities, ensuring unitteruptable functioning of project office and effective communication and reporting. The National Project Manager promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach consistent with UN rules and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Efficient planning and timely implementation of project activities in Ukraine;
- Maintain effective cooperation with counterparts and stakeholfders;
- Support partnership activities at project level;
- Management of project office operations;
- Ensure effective communication and reporting;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, guidance to all stakeholders on programme management and operational matters;
- Ensure the mainstreaming of gender equality and women’s empowerment considerations in the field of expertise.
Planning and timely implementation of project activities:
- Maintain effective cooperation with Government counterparts (individuals and organizations) and with ITC;
- Facilitate interaction between enterprises and BSOs in the region;
- Coordinate work of national and international consultants in cooperation with Programme aoordinator;
- Support the Programme Coordinator and ITC technical staff with expertise and advice on policy issues and on the local context;
- Update the project work plan regularly;
- Stay on top of developments, conduct regular risk assessment and take necessary measures to mitigate risks whenever possible.
Cooperation and partnership:
- Sustain effective dialogue and ensure effective coordination with the representatives of key local and regional governmental, relevant ministries and agencies, business community and donor representatives;
- Stay on top of developments at the national level and ensure coordination of activities with other stakeholders.
Project office operations:
- Ensure unintereuptable functioning of the project office in Kherson;
- Supervise work of project assistant and national consultants, provide regular guidance and advice, evaluate their performance;
- Manage and report on imprest account;
- Enusre timely reporting on financial authorization, in-kind contributions, travel and events.
Communication and reporting:
- Organize effective external communication for the project, e.g. through appropriate presentation at relevant key events in the country, ensuring regular dissemination of information bulletins and update of the project’s website;
- Prepare project progress and final report;
- Undertake any other tasks which are likely to contribute to the successful implementation of the project.
Ensure the mainstreaming of gender equality and women’s empowerment considerations in the field of expertise:
- Ensure strategic partnership building to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment (the national gender machinery, line ministries/institutions, civil society actors, especially women’s groups and networks);
- Use the principles of gender-responsive communications in line with the UN corporate standards;
- Be aware of relevant gender issues and concerns in the field of expertise and be familiar with gender issues relevant to the country/region.
Promote a safe and enabling environment free of any kind of discrimination and abusive behaviour
- Promote an organizational culture of gender equality and zero tolerance to any sexual misconduct in the team through leadership and personal example;
- Demonstrate respect for gender equality in professional interactions, identify and address sexism and gender discrimination;
- Respect differences and accord equal spaces and dignity regardless of personnel’s gender, race, sexual preference, ethnicity, ability, or other markers of identity;
- Ensure personnel and partners are informed and briefed about corporate sexual harassment and sexual exploitation and abuse policies;
- Recognize care responsibilities of both women and men employees and encourage personnel to take advantage of the available family friendly facilities and work/life flexibilities.
Measurable outputs of the work assignment:
- Project activities implemented successfully and as per the workplan;
- Timely reporting and monitoring done (annual and quarterly);
- Regular update of the project’s website;
- Timely guidance and advice to national consultants provided;
- Events and trade fair participation are succefully organized.
Performance indicators for evaluation of results:
- At least 90 % of the annual work plan is implemented on time;
- Partnership and networks at national level are established;
- Effective collaboration with national partners and other donor assistance projects is ensured.
- Demonstrates commitment to UN mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Management and Leadership;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to work under continuous pressure and meet deadlines;
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence;
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making;
- Mature judgment combined with a proactive, energetic approach to problem solving;
- Proactive and energetic optimistic approach to all possible problems;
- Ability to establish and maintain networks and partnerships.
- Knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment issues and ability to apply it to strategic and/or practical situations, e.g. integrating into the project/programme cycle, including design, planning, and implementation.
Core Values / Guiding Principles:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct;
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work;
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Management, Public Administration, Social Sciences, Economics, Finance or related field.
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant progressively responsible experience at the national and/or international level in trade development, in project management and/or programme/project coordination, project component coordination;
- Professional experience in planning, managing and implementing technical cooperation projects in transition economies is desirable, preferably in the area of foreign trade development;
- Sound knowledge about the country’s trade context; knowledge of trade and development priorities of the three selected regions will be an asset;
- Experience in working with international organizations;
- Work experience with a wide cross-section of partners: government, local authorities, NGO’s, communities, media and businesses would be an asset;
- Experience of working with fruits and vegetables sector or related sectors;
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Office, Outlook, etc.).
- Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian languages.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.