UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Unit of Information Technology and Management (ITM) in Copenhagen is responsible for supporting UNDP Country Offices around the world with ICT and Green Energy solutions. Our Unit offers a stimulating and versatile internship in an international environment with contact to various partners from some 166 countries with UNDP presence. We are a team who work in a dynamic and informal atmosphere, and we expect our interns to become vital members of the team. As an intern, you will be given tasks and opportunities that have a direct global impact on the development efforts of the international community. The UNDP/ITM Green Energy Support internship programme enhances the academic life experience of passionate students as interns and empowers them to become socially responsible, innovative, and environmentally conscious leaders of tomorrow. We bridge the gap between textbook learning and real-time industry experience by taking interns behind the scenes of the world’s leading clean energy and sustainability initiatives, while learning to take into consideration the local context. Furthermore, during the internship you will have the opportunity to obtain an official certification in project management in controlled environment. Being a part of our dynamic unit, you will also gain worldwide connections with other top-talented interns and UN staff from other agencies; our office is located at the UN City in Copenhagen, giving you the opportunity to interact with people outside the UNDP ITM unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Support in drafting of business cases for renewable energy solutions (solar hybrid systems);
· Support in providing guidelines on energy efficient solutions to country offices;
· Provide support to optimize usage of diesel generators in UNDP offices;
· Assist during installation of IOT energy sensor units in country offices worldwide;
· Support the team in procuring green energy solution equipment ranging from market research , requests for quotation and technical evaluation;
· Support in daily monitoring and operation of installed renewable solutions;
· Assist the team in organizing internal and external meetings with third parties;
· Draft and update the units` documentation to support the continuous improvement of the Green Energy team processes and procedures, instructions and templates for best practice;
· Assist the project manager during the installation of renewable energy solutions (solar hybrid systems) in UNDP country offices worldwide.
· Technological Awareness: Has interest and understanding of renewable energy engineering, sustainable development-oriented areas of work;
· Innovation: Interest in developing sustainable solutions for UNDP country offices around the world, focusing on green energy and energy efficiency;
· Problem Solving: Good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data and research for practical implementation;
· Teamwork: Communicates effectively when working in teams and independently;
· Communication: Communicates effectively when working in teams and has a proactive attitude with a goal-oriented mind-set;
· Planning and Organization: Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities;
· Collaboration: Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability and Interest and motivation in working in an international organization;
· Commitment to Continuous Learning: Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude, responding positively to feedback and differing points of view;
· Delivery: UNDP ITM unit is ISO 9001:2015, ISO 20000:2011 and ISO 27001:2013 certified, thus all works shall be compliant with the international standard with focus on high quality, continuous improvements and customer satisfaction.
Required Skills and Experience
You must meet one of the following requirements:
· You are currently in the final year of your bachelor’s degree; or You are currently enrolled in a Master’s degree; or
· You have graduated no longer than 1 year to the deadline of the application from a master’s degree or equivalent studies in the field of renewable energy engineering, electrical engineering or in a related field.
· Experience or knowledge in the field of: Environment, Energy or Electrical Engineering, Climate Change, or other relevant fields is required;
· Technical knowledge of the main renewable energy technologies is a strong advantage;
· Experience/Knowledge in sizing Hybrid PV systems (with diesel generator) is a strong advantage;
· Experience/Knowledge in energy efficiency and/or electric vehicles is a strong advantage;
· Knowledge of software tools for hybrid renewable energy systems is an advantage;
· Knowledge of HOMER and PV*Sol is an advantage;
· Knowledge and a proficient user of Microsoft Office productivity tools is an advantage;
· Knowledge or experience with specific Office 365 tools (or their consumer equivalents) such as Planner (Trello), Teams (Slack), Yammer (Workplace by Facebook), OneDrive (Dropbox, Google Drive), Power BI (Tableau), etc. is a strong advantage;
· SharePoint knowledge, preferably SharePoint Online is an advantage;
· Working with gathering, consolidating and analysing either quantitative and qualitative data from databases and reports is an advantage;
· Demonstrated experience presenting work to both technical and non-technical is an advantage;
· Demonstrated professional or academic experience in any of the UNDP Member States is an advantage;
· Fluent in written and spoken English is mandatory. Knowledge of French and other UN languages is an advantage.