The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in 170 countries and territories, working with governments and people on their own solutions to global and national development challenges to help empower lives and build resilient nations.
UNDP Mozambique Country Office (CO) is part of the United Nations system working to support the country’s development agenda. Its overall aim is to ensure that people attain a better standard of living through sustainable development. Relations between the Government of Mozambique and the United Nations system were formalized on 1976. Geographically, UNDP interventions have a national coverage with focus on the provinces of Gaza, Sofala, Nampula and Cabo Delgado, where it has a long-established presence and strong relationships with local authorities, communities and civil society organizations.
The work of UNDP in the country is guided by the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) for the period 2017-2021 and its Country Programme Document 2017-2021 to support the following programme priorities:
(a) Sustainable and inclusive economic transformation;
(b) Resilience and natural resources management; and
(c) Good governance, peace and social cohesion.
Working in close collaboration with other operations units, programme, projects staff and Information & Technology Management (ITM) staff in HQ for resolving complex ICT related issues and information exchange, the ICT Unit provide, coordinate, and facilitate the use of ICT and information resources for UNDP, UNV, UNCDF, UNRCO, UNDSS and UNDP Projects. The ICT Unit also provides support to UNDP and its partners digitalisation efforts. As a result of COVID -19 the office has transitioned to full work from home that requires additional support from ICT Unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Supports implementation of ICT management systems and strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Compliance with corporate information management and technology standards, guidelines and procedures for the CO technology environment.
- Support to the use of Atlas (UNDP’s implementation of ERP) functionality for improved business results and improved client services.
- Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Provision of inputs to preparation of results-oriented workplans.
2. Ensures effective functioning of the CO hardware and software packages, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Performance of specific technical functions, including changing of hardware electronic components (disks, memories, network wiring, power sources, etc.) and routine repairs.
- Assistance in the installation of commercial and in-house developed software and related upgrades
- Assistance in upgrading patch and anti-virus programs on a timely basis.
- Monitoring of file server traffic, usage, and performance on a frequent and regular basis.
- Support to users in backing up and restoring their files, as well as in virus detection, removal and prevention.
3. Supports networks administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assistance in troubleshooting and monitoring of network problems.
- Response to user needs and questions regarding network access.
- Assistance in backup and restoration procedures for local drives. Maintenance of backup logs. Assistance to organization of off-site storage of backups.
4. Provides administrative support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of an up-to-date inventory of software and hardware.
- Maintenance of a library of ICT related reference materials.
- Maintenance of the inventory and stock of supplies and spare parts in cooperation with the Procurement Unit.
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Ensure all communication costs are paid in a timely manner to avoid disruption of services
- Research and retrieval of data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports as required.
- Provision of ICT support to key events.
5. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation and assistance in the organization of training for the CO staff on ICT issues.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Research best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position.
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work.
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning.
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
Strategic Alignment of Management Practice (HQ & RSCs)
- Gathers information on best practices in the relevant management practice in his/her area of responsibility.
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems.
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion.
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Self-development, initiative-taking.
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work.
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively.
- Creating synergies through self-control.
- Managing conflict.
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education with relevant certifications in hardware and software management and application, Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) required. If certification is not available at the time of recruitment, it should be obtained within 6 months.
- University Degree in Computer Science would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 5 years of relevant working experience, including network administration, support to management of hardware and software platforms, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications.
- With a degree holder, 2 years of relevant working experience, including network administration, support to management of hardware and software platforms, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications.
- Fluency in Portuguese language and working knowledge of English is desirable, but not required.