Girl Up is a global leadership development initiative, positioning girls to be leaders in the movement for gender equality. With resources in five languages and more than 4,500 Girl Up Clubs in 125 countries, we’ve trained 97,000 girls of all backgrounds to create tangible change for girls everywhere. Girl Up provides leadership training and gives girls tools to become gender equality advocates and activists. Through our programs in STEM and storytelling, girls broaden their social impact skill set to better prepare them for success in whatever their futures hold. Our girl leaders create real policy change at local and national levels, raise millions of dollars to support programs for girls around the world through our United Nations partners, and build community-based movements for social change. Learn more at GirlUp.org.
The UN Foundation is an independent charitable organization created to be a strategic partner for the United Nations to address humanity’s greatest challenges, build initiatives across sectors to solve problems at scale, and drive global progress.
The Senior Associate, Communications and Digital Media, Girl Up will manage all of Girl Up’s social media channels, planning and implementing a comprehensive digital communications strategy that is data-driven and rooted in analytics, includes innovative content development, and helps the organization reach more supporters and members around the world. They will be responsible for managing Girl Up’s digital strategy across digital platforms, driving strategy for email marketing, and leading on website updates. They will oversee management of social listening across Girl Up HQ, regional, and Club social accounts. The Senior Associate, Communications and Digital Media, Girl Up reports to the the Deputy Director of Communications, Girl Up and works closely with the communications team; across Girl Up departments, specifically development and programs; and with the UN Foundation’s Public Affairs team.
- Manage and contribute to Girl Up’s digital media strategy across platforms
- Coordinate with multiple team members to maintain Girl Up’s digital editorial calendar
- Writing and editing copy for Girl Up’s social media and digital channels, internal and external resources, and more, using appropriate styles across member, partner, and supporter audiences
- Ensure fulfillment of social media deliverables for Girl Up partners
- Make updates to GirlUp.org and field website requests from Girl Up supporters, members, and colleagues
- Assist in strategy development and implementation to expand and maintain an active and engaged email list including drafting and coding emails, creating targeted distribution groups, and reporting on metrics
- Advise and implement website content development process, including writing, editing, and posting on GirlUp.org
- Create monthly metrics reports by monitoring, analyzing, and reporting on web, social media, email and media mention KPIs
- Oversee day-to-day social media listening for Girl Up HQ, regional, and Club accounts
- Create and write social media kits, digital press kits, and social media trainings for members, supporters, and partners as needed
- Create, organize, and maintain storytelling assets to tell the story of Girl Up members globally across digital platforms
- Manage strategy and implementation of paid social media marketing campaigns
- Manage vendor relationships, as needed, for digital communications implementation
- Work closely with Girl Up colleagues to leverage Girl Up Community communications for our other digital channels
- Contribute to the strengthening of Girl Up's diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) efforts across digital channels
- Keep up-to-date with online communications trends and web industry standards
- Travel to attend and cover live events as applicable, once office travel resumes
- Other projects and duties as assigned
- Minimum 3-4 years of experience in communications and digital media, in publishing or media outlet, at a PR agency, or NGO setting
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Communications, Public Relations, International Relations or related field preferred
- Familiarity with global humanitarian issues and issues affecting women and girls globally
- Experience maintaining and managing organizational social networking accounts in coordination with campaign online communications and strategy (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube etc.)
- Proficiency with email marketing platforms (e.g., Convio Luminate Online, EveryAction, Campaign Monitor, Pardot, or similar tools), CRM (Salesforce preferred), and CMS platforms (WordPress preferred)
- Experience writing emails and analyzing email campaign performance
- Experience working with youth or member-based organizations preferred
- Experience in digital crisis communications preferred
- Basic proficiency in Adobe Suite, Microsoft Office Suite
- Attention to detail and adherence to deadlines
- Ability to work independently and within a team to identify, explore and implement creative online and social media strategies driven by data
- Strong skills working in teams and across many types of organizations — team-oriented; problem solver; relationship-builder; and strong inter-personal skills
- Ability to multitask in a very fast-paced, often rapidly-changing environment
- Sense of humor, creative energy and a great team player
- Multi-cultural experience, general knowledge of global issues and the United Nations system, and an understanding of the UN Foundation mission, programs, strategy and goals
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- A writing test will be required I have read and understand the above position description.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.