Creating partnerships to reach new audiences, and building greater engagement among diverse communities of issue advocates are some of the most powerful ways we use communications to drive change, and that’s why they are core activities of the UN Foundation’s award-winning Public Affairs team. We grow, nurture, and equip vocal communities of support for greater global cooperation on key UN-priority issue areas including climate, gender equality, global health, the SDGs, and the future of multilateralism itself.
This role, based in our New York office, promises a huge variety that reflects the on-going nature of partnerships and engagement work, as well as key moments in the calendar, especially the UN General Assembly (UNGA). This includes supporting relationships and work with communicators within the UN system; growing and nurturing key UN Foundation issue communities; helping to build and strengthen relationships with the private sector, NGO community, media and creative communities; conducting research into target sectors and communities; event and meeting support; drafting and producing communications products, particularly for digital audiences; and other tasks, including administrative, as needed.
The Partnerships and Engagement Associate will work most closely in support of three senior colleagues, and may also oversee interns, as well as working as an integral part of the broader Public Affairs team.
- Provide communications support and services for NY-based Public Affairs and UN communications events, initiatives and meetings, working closely to support the Senior Director, Communications & Special Initiatives, the Senior Director, Partnerships & Communications, under the direction of the Senior Manager, Technical Communications
- Develop and complete research, analysis, read-outs, and action-tracking for various projects for partnerships and engagement, especially with the UN - including leading on information gathering for coordination of UNGA and related activities
- Conduct partner and influencer research, vetting and targeted outreach to grow networks
- Create and contribute to the creation of digital communications content to the required standard as needed, including blog posts, social media copy, graphics, video/image research and other elements, using appropriate software and tools under the guidance of the Foundation’s integrated communications team
- Community management and support for key target constituencies that are important for our engagement strategies, including Comms Corps, Global Goals Week, and other key collaborative partners
- Communications, administrative, and project management support for special projects as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required (ideally in communications, international relations, policy, or history.
- 1-2 years of relevant experience in communications or a related professional setting
- Self-starter with passion for maximizing the impact of outside partners on global issues
- Administrative experience and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required, including strong drafting ability with attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize appropriately, maintaining quality and meeting deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Strong research skills required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Social media skills required, design and video production experience advantageous
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and discretion
- Strong professional interpersonal skills and diplomacy, willingness to learn protocol
- Ability to meet regular attendance/ tardiness policy
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.