Programme Communication Specialist will develop a program communication work plan and lead the implementation under the supervision of the Media and Communication Manager of Yayasan Plan International Indonesia (Plan Indonesia). The incumbent will work alongside project and programme managers and the team to implement effective communications activities aligned with programme objectives as well as Plan Indonesia’s communication guidelines.
The incumbent will work closely with the program staff at the national and local level to ensure effective implementation of communication activities including document and produce communication materials, manage campaign events, showcase program achievement and work with the communication team to ensure the program achievement is effectively disseminated to media and targeted public as well as engage media and targeted public. S/he needs to understand Plan Indonesia’s brand guidelines and be responsible to ensure all programme’s communication materials and events are in line with Plan Indonesia’s brand guidelines. The Job holder will contribute to the program report particularly in the component of communication.
As part of the national communication team, the job holder will also play a significant role to contribute to the development of a national communication plan. She/he will contribute to the target of the communication team in terms of outreach and visibility of the organisation to a targeted audience. The person will work together with other program staff to develop effective social media and mass media campaigns to help increase Plan Indonesia’s brand visibility and showcase the organization’s works to the public and key stakeholders.
Last but not least, the job holder will be part of a national campaign movement that will be led by communication and influencing department. She/he will contribute to plan and implement flagship campaigns at the national level such as Girls Get Equal, International Day of the Girls, International Women’s Day, National Children Day, etc.
Dimensions of the Role
- This position reports to the Media and Communication Manager
- Act as communication focal point for two programs implemented by Plan Indonesia: Child Development Programme (CDP) and Adolescent Health Agency (AHA) Programme
- Develop a communication work plan for each project within the above programs
- Implement the program communication and contribute to the program report from the aspect of communication
- Contribute to national communication plan to achieve target outreach and visibility of the organisation to a targeted audience
- Develop communication report to demonstrate contribution to national branding and communication target
- Work with programs staffs to produce strategic and effective IEC materials that address programme aspirations and showcase the good practices in the forms of success stories, human-interest stories, project one-pager factsheets, videos, photo books, etc.
- Engage with PR Specialist and Digital Communications Specialist to publish project communication products and activities in digital media and mass media
- Support communication and influencing department to organize/arrange national campaign initiatives (IDG, GGE, national children day, etc) at the local level.
- Ensure all project communication products and their partners comply with Plan Indonesia’s brand guidelines and communication protocol.
(1) Conduct strategic communications activities and ensure high quality of the information, education and communications (IEC) product to influence targeted audience based on research and program objective
- Success stories/ research findings/ campaign messages are developed into the right IEC products according to the targeted audience
- Assist programs' teams, strategically and technically, in aligning technical implementation with communications plan.
- Document and store all communication materials
- Develop detailed Communication Plan for each program/project within Child Development and Protection program and Adolescent Health and Agency program, and campaign advocacy works
- Produce creative IEC materials in bilingual (Indonesian and English) to influence target audience
- Produce human-interest stories and photo / video from the field
- IEC products are disseminated and promoted effectively through the right channels according to the targeted audience
- Develop and Produce IEC materials through effective channels in timely manner
- Develop communication products within projects' needs for internal and external audience.
- Assist project teams to write opinion article for media on priority issues to respond to relevant momentum (IDG, IWD, Hari Anak Nasional, Hari Cuci Tangan Sedunia, etc)
- Assist the socialization of Plan Indonesia’s communication protocol and brand guideline that are aligned with global brand standards to all staff and partners
- All communication products are consistent with Plan International, Inc. Global Standard on Brand and associated Brand Manual
- Assist communications induction to news staffs and partners
- Assist the implementation of sign-off policy and procedure for all communication materials
- Develop highlighted works of Plan Indonesia to Global Hub and APAC platforms
- Develop monthly newsletter to Plan Indonesia, APAC and Global Hub colleagues
- Assist in coordinating programme communications works and branding guidelines consistency
- Develop and Socialise Communication Plan for 2021-2022
- Coordinate and monitor budget for communications activity, especially within Program's Activity (CDP & AHA Projects)
- Assist of socialization of standard operating procedure for Plan Indonesia communications materials and activities
(2) Support to maintain trend of brand awareness within targeted market and demography
- Urban and middle-upper society are aware and interested about Plan Indonesia program impact and campaign
- Assist the dissemination of updated branding and communication strategy
- Develop quarterly infographic containing killer facts which potentially attracts media and public stakeholders for further engagement
- Develop monthly newsletter showcasing highlighted works of Plan Indonesia to key partners (i.e. government, donor agencies, corporates, influencers, youth network)
- Develop, from the concept making to recording, of Plan Indonesia's podcast that promotes girl’s rights issues and in line with Plan Indonesia key messages
- Plan Indonesia campaigns are acknowledged by key partners (i.e. government, donor agencies, corporates, influencers, youth network)
- Develop and coordinate joint campaign with key partners (i.e. government, donor agencies, corporates, influencers, youth network)
- Develop key message of campaign according to the targeted audience.
- Organizing events for national campaign and lead the coordination with EO, MC, Moderators, interpreters, etc.
- Develop campaign through platforms according to the targeted audience
- Plan Indonesia teams and staffs to become communicators and influencers for Girls’ rights campaign
- Develop campaign to be promoted through Plan Indonesia internal platforms (i.e. WA group, Workplace, email blast, newsletter)
- Assist the socialization of new campaign to Plan Indonesia staffs through town hall/ brown bag session/ policy corner
(3) Contribute to promote Plan Indonesia to become media reference and social media trend setter on girls’ rights issues
- Plan Indonesia program achievement and key messages are promoted by media through their channels, both printed and digital
- Maintain partnership with major and segmented media at the national and local level where Plan Indonesia works to boost our key messages and profile
- Maintain good network and engagement with editors and journalists to increase knowledge and interest on our issues
- Develop press release/ media brief to major media companies
- Assist media outreach to maintain good relations with frequent contacts of journalists
- Plan Indonesia spokespersons become the go-to expert for media on girls’ rights issues
- Maintain high-level engagement with media board/ editor-in-chief/ directors
- Develop timely response from Plan Indonesia on essential and urgent issues relate to girls’ rights issues, especially within the issues of Child Development and Protection program and Adolescent Health and Agency program, in forms of press release/ media brief.
- Encourage project team to be spokespersons within Plan Indonesia.
- Assist regular media gathering/media briefing/media or newsroom visit to update and share information related to girls’ rights issues.
- Plan Indonesia Staffs:
- Program Managers, project manager within the program
- Communication & Influencing Team
- Resource & Mobilization Team
- Finance Team, Administration Team and Human Resources Team
- Sponsorship Team and programme implementation area staffs
Asia Hub and Global Hub Staffs:
- Communication Team, Regional and Global
- Related Project Communication on Regional and Global
- Implementing partner organizations of YEE & HRP program / projects
- Program key stakeholders including local and national government, INGO, NGO and donors
- Program targeted beneficiaries
- Media companies and journalist, social media communities and influencers
- Different network, forum and clusters on project implementation
- Consultant of graphic designers, photographer, video makers, copywriters, etc
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
- University degree in Communications or related fields
- Between 3-5 years of professional experience in communications or journalism
- Excellent skilled in popular writing and editing both in Indonesian and English
- Have good sense of art in graphic design and photography
- Experience working for NGO / non-profit sector is preferred
- Experience in the implementation and execution of communications strategy
- Excellent interpersonal communications and presentations skills
- Good understanding in the use of digital communications for development, including social media
Knowledge and Skill:
- Good interpersonal skill and team work
- Strong communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Excellent time management skills
- Good presentation and communication skill
- Good networking with relevant institutions
- Understand about human right and child right
- Good in English (both speaking and writing)
- Proven working experience with the community, government, private sector.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Knowledge of the print production process and supplier negotiations is desirable.
- Good understanding about marketing communication concept and practices
- Ability to travel national or overseas up to 90 days annually, sometimes at short notice
- Team Work
- Planning and organizing
- Communication skills
- Data gathering and analysis
- Problem analysis and problem solving
- Presentation skills
- Facilitation skills
- Team player
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable
We create a climate of trust inside and outside the organisation by being open, honest and transparent. We hold ourselves and others to account for the decisions we make and for our impact on others, while doing what we say we will do.
We strive for lasting impact
We strive to achieve significant and lasting impact on the lives of children and young people, and to secure equality for girls. We challenge ourselves to be bold, courageous, responsive, focused and innovative.
We work well together
We succeed by working effectively with others, inside and outside the organisation, including our sponsors and donors. We actively support our colleagues, helping them to achieve their goals. We come together to create and implement solutions in our teams, across Plan International, with children, girls, young people, communities and our partners.
We are inclusive and empowering
We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge inequality in our programmes and our workplace. We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives. We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential.
Typical office environment with frequent travels, sometimes to remote areas (50%)
Level of contact with children and young people
High level: Frequent interaction with children and young people
All applications will be treated in confidence. Only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interviews. Please submit your letter of application and detailed curriculum vitae in English by apply now not later than August 7, 2021
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International's Safeguarding Children and Young People policy.
As an international child centred community development organisation, Yayasan Plan International Indonesia is fully committed to promoting the realisation of children's rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Yayasan Plan International Indonesia believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk. Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for. Our organisation is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas.
We will provide equality of opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination on any grounds. We foster an organisational culture that embraces and exemplifies our commitment to gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion while supporting staff to adopt good practice, positive attitudes and principles of gender equality and inclusion.