- Job-ID: V000045932
- Location: Addis Abeba
- Assignment period: 09/01/2021 - 08/31/2023
- Field: Social Sectors
- Type of employment: full- or part-time
- Application deadline: 08/13/2021
The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) is committed to supporting local vaccine manufacturing in Africa. This includes engagement at global, regional and country level (e.g.South Africa, Ghana). The program BACKUP Health has been commissioned to contribute to improving framework conditions for local manufacturing in Africa. Building on the results of the African Union Local Vaccine Manufacturing Summit 2021 and acknowledging the leadership of the AU and the critical role of its institutions the program plans to engage further with the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) and, among others, the designated Africa Medicines Agency and to join the newly formed Partnership for African Vaccine Manufacturing in Africa (PAVM). The position will be located in the GIZ Portfolio with the African Union at the siege of the African Union Commission in Addis Abeba, Ethiopia. The position will be embedded in the Africa CDC, Secretariat of the Partnership for African Vaccine Manufacturing (PAVM).
- Technical/policy advisor to the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, Partnership for African Vaccine Manufacturing (PAVM), contributing to the work of the PAVM Secretariat and Task Force; advising on d strategy development and underlying operational plans as well as on technical issues, support to fund mobilization
- Support and advise selected technical committees/workstreams and provide substantial inputs to workstream planning, identification of synergies with other areas situational analyses, option assessments and solution appraisals, development of recommendations, support to workstream decision making and strategy setting
- Advise on and support specific design and policy/strategy setting activities in collaboration with the workstream owners
- Support drafting key documents for internal and external meetings
- Develop a detailed and robust work plan for workstream activities with performance, key milestones, and progress monitoring and identification of synergies with other area
- Advise on project management, e.g. secretariat meeting preparation, facilitation, and follow-up
- Travel within Africa and to other countries, as required and possible.
- Liaise regularly with the BACKUP team based elsewhere and other giz programs, contribute to requests from BMZ, internal knowledge management and to other tasks and events
- Contribute to BACKUP reporting, presentations, articles, case studies and other documentation, Monitoring and Evaluation
- University degree in Medicine/Pharmacy/Biology/Health Sciences or health economics
- Additional certification/master’s degree in Public Health/Control of Infectious Diseases or Vaccinology/Regulation of Pharmaceuticals or similar
- Excellent knowledge of the regulatory and vaccine production environment and African Public Health systems
- Intercultural sensitivity, strong communication and cooperation competencies and written/verbal/presentation skills; experience in dealing with challenging situations regarding uncertainty
- Many years of professional experience working in a technical cooperation/management consultancy company and with lower-middle income countries
- Experience with health systems strengthening/multi stakeholder cooperation and management
- Several years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry/vaccine production/pharmaceutical regulation
- Fluent English skills; good French skills; good German as an asset
The GIZ offers an additional benefits package for deployments in fragile security situations.
Please use the following link for information about living and working in Ethiopia.
The security situation requires heightened vigilance. Tailored security risk mitigation measures are in place for GIZ staff in country. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. GIZ runs a professional security risk management system in the field of deployment. The working environment is subject to special restrictions on the freedom of movement. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. We kindly ask you to inform yourself which forms of relationships are legally and socially accepted in the country of deployment.
GIZ operates worldwide. As part of the GIZ team, you are prepared to take on international assignments and pass on your expertise.
This job is suited to a full or a part-time position.
The willingness for frequent business trips is required.
If you have any questions about benefits and employment opportunities for accompanying partners, please contact: email@example.com
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.