Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Manager
Winrock International works with people around the world to increase economic opportunity, sustain natural resources, and protect the environment. Winrock is seeking experienced candidates for an anticipated USAID project that will accelerate resilient, agriculture-led economic growth and increase food security in Malawi. The project is expected to use a market systems approach to promote access to and adoption of improved inputs, market information, extension and advisory services, market access, and post-harvest services. The project will use innovative partnerships to incentivize private sector investment in modernizing Malawi’s agriculture sector while increasing production capacity and market access for nutrient-rich value chains and building resilience for smallholder farmers.
The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Manager will be responsible for the implementation of the program’s M&E activities, data reporting requirements, and pilot research studies. S/he will also serve as the point of contact with any external evaluation and/or special study contractors throughout the life of the project. This position is contingent upon award.
- Design and develop the monitoring, evaluating, learning, and research plan for the project, including finalizing and defining indicators and targets, planning data collection methods, tools, and reporting formats, and leading MEL plan revisions as needed;
- Supervise the MEL team and provide technical leadership to ensure that USAID and Winrock MEL requirements are met on a timely basis;
- Oversee and guide data collection, verification, management, analysis, and visualization, and reporting progress towards indicator targets and results – based on both quantitative and qualitative inputs;
- Develop and put in place efficient and accurate data collection and analysis system and procedures that include efficient processes for collecting and analyzing data and ensuring data quality; and conduct internal DQAs;
- Lead knowledge management and Collaborating, Learning and Adapting (CLA) approaches throughout implementation;
- Facilitate a collaborative effort across technical teams to develop a learning agenda, and to package and document evidence and learning from project activities to inform project approaches/workplans, adaptive management strategies, and collaboration with other programs;
- Co-facilitate quarterly Pause and Reflect sessions to capture learning, introduce improvements, and find solutions to successful achievement of results;
- Work closely with the field team and project staff to ensure annual workplans are aligned with the MEL plan to meet annual and LOP targets;
- Oversee internal evaluation efforts of the project, as well as preparing for external evaluations;
- Respond to internal or external data requests;
- Build capacity of MEL and technical staff, partners, and key stakeholders, and ensure compliance;
- Participate in Winrock International’s MEL Community of Practice
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
Education: Advanced degree in social sciences, such as statistics, public health, public policy, economics or a related field, and/or specialized training/certification in monitoring & evaluation
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience managing and implementing complex MEL systems for international development projects, preferably with USAID-funded projects;
- Experience managing MEL databases, conducting timely data analysis, and developing reports. SQL database experience preferred;
- Strong experience in both quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis;
- Proven record of designing and implementing data collection tools, including surveys;
- Experience designing, testing and managing surveys required;
- Experience with mobile data collection strongly preferred;
- Experience with capacity building in MEL required;
- Experience in similar positions focused on agriculture, market systems development, and/or resilience strongly preferred
- Experience in Malawi required.
- Familiarity with USAID and Feed the Future MEL requirements;
- Strong training design, training delivery, and facilitation skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skill in English;
- Familiarity using technology for data collection, management, analysis, and visualization
- Proficiency in word processing, database management, statistical analysis, survey, and presentation software (Microsoft)
- Excellent organizational and team management skills
Winrock is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and value diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law.