The Officer, Youth Engagement will oversee the day-to-day operations of all campus programs and activities, including the campus chapter network, youth membership, UNA-USA Youth Observer to the UN program, and support the youth to paid membership pipeline.
The Youth Engagement Officer reports to the Senior Director, Programs and Policies, UNA-USA, and works in close collaboration with other members of the UNA-USA team, as well as other internal UNF and external stakeholders on youth engagement and development.
- Oversee cultivation of new campus chapters nationwide through variety of strategies, including identification and relationship building with Campus Advisors, outreach to student organizations and student administrative councils, and other means.
- Manage retention of campus chapter student leadership.
- Develop and oversee an annual calendar for campus grassroots programs and initiatives;
- Provide assistance to students and design resources and tools for campus chapter leaders to empower them to build and maintain strong chapters.
- Implement a national field strategy to maintain and expand the UNA campus chapter network, including the Campus Fellows program.
- Create project timelines and programs to integrate youth engagement into UN/UNA milestones, including UN Day, Human Rights Day, International Women’s Day, etc.
- Develop youth-related content for the UNA-USA website, blog, social media, and email.
- Develop and implement recruitment and retention strategies for UNA-USA youth members, including those joining a chapter and those who are Member-at-Large
- Use data and evidence-based processes to inform decisions that support UNA-USA youth membership
- Manage MyDiplomat (proprietary simulation software) project priorities, including digital assets, content creation, and promotional outreach to education partners.
- Identify Model UN conferences in target congressional districts / states and engage Model UN audiences with UNA-USA’s advocacy priorities / programming opportunities.
- Work with Communications team and digital media vendor to update digital features on MyDiplomat and the UNA-USA website.
- Oversee the Campus Fellows program, including the development of curriculum and support and communication with both community and campus chapters
- Manage Emerging Leaders Fellowship program
- Coordinate national learning and leadership opportunities for youth members
- Oversee budget and implementation for the UNA-USA Youth Observer to the UN program.
- Manage the application, selection, and onboarding process.
- Coordinate Youth Observer activities, including digital presence (blogging, social media), grassroots engagements, and travel; organize the Youth Observer’s calendar throughout the year.
- Proactively seek opportunities for Youth Observer to engage with UNA-USA campus and community chapters.
- Work with the Senior Director, Programs and Policies and Community Engagement Manager to coordinate between UNA campus and community chapters, fostering partnership and collaboration.
- Liaise with UNA-USA community chapters’ Young Professionals groups and UNA Young Professionals Affinity Group.
- Serve as staff liaison for UNA-USA Educator Affinity Group.
- Work with pan-Foundation partners to provide a youth audience to other programs and campaigns.
- In collaboration with Membership and Events Associate, oversee youth membership approval process.
- Maintain a strong knowledge of UNF’s Salesforce database to be able to process and track agreements, input membership data, extract information, and prepare and analyze reports to make informed decisions.
- Coordinate with Grassroots Advocacy Officer to implement advocacy strategies and initiatives for youth engagement nationally.
- Cultivate and manage institutional partnerships with outside organizations;
- Work with the UNA-USA Executive Director on fundraising initiatives for youth engagement;
- Assist with UNA-USA’s national events, including the Global Engagement Summit, Global Engagement Online Series, and the UNA-USA Leadership Summit.
- Assist Membership Team with customer service activities when needed.
- Maintain working knowledge of the UNF agreement process (for both contracts and grants), and when to utilize the proper templates accordingly. (As applicable to the role)
- Draft and review agreements and maintaining an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with UNF’s finance/contracts team as needed. (As applicable to the role)
- Attend training sessions provided by UNF’s contracts team to maintain and keep up to date with UNF’s current policies and procedures. (As applicable to the role)
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- 3-5 years of professional experience.
- Enthusiasm for engaging today’s youth generation in international affairs;
- Proven track record of supporting youth and young professionals as volunteers.
- A background in international affairs or diplomacy and familiarity with the UN system.
- Excellent public speaking skills;
- Entrepreneurial attitude;
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time;
- Experience working with a national organization engaging college students;
- Strong writing and communication skills;
- Some CRM and CMS management experience.
- Ability to collect, track, and analyze data.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and/or projects simultaneously;
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy;
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.