The Officer for Grassroots Advocacy, acts as the "front-line" strategist and implementer of UNA-USA’s grassroots engagement program, specifically in terms of volunteer activist cultivation, advocacy partnership management along with measuring and evaluating advocacy initiatives. This position also serves as a liaison with the Advocacy Committee as part of the UNA-USA National Council. The Officer for Grassroots Advocacy works closely with numerous campaign colleagues and the UN Foundation's advocacy team.
Advocate Cultivation and Development
- Lead on strategy and implementation tactics to increase grassroots engagement, serving as a primary point of contact with UNA-USA advocates.
- Create and implement activation campaigns around key UN days and UN issues
- Lead advocacy communications efforts, in collaboration with communications team members, including petitions, presentations, scripts, and resources along with support for in-district congressional meetings, media op-eds, and member or chapter-led events.
- Identify and implement tactics to build presence in congressional targets, achieve annual advocacy goals, and strategies for how to utilize UNA-USA members in the pursuit of those goals.
- Establish and execute recruitment goals and strategies in strategically significant Congressional districts.
- Work in collaboration with UNA-USA colleagues to provide customized advocacy support and education for Members-at-Large (both youth and paid), Global Goals Ambassadors, and other key stakeholders.
- Develop and facilitate other marquee advocacy events and trainings to empower UNA-USA members with skills, knowledge, and tools needed to effectively take measurable action to promote UNA-USA goals and mission.
Annual Leadership Summit
- Serve as primary lead in coordination with BWC’s Director of Advocacy and Humanitarian Affairs for Capitol Hill Lobby Day in June (both virtual and in-person elements) including liaising with executive offices, organizing Capitol Hill Advocacy Day groups and staff leads, managing the budget, and securing external speakers.
- Work together with Better World Campaign on content, delivery, and utilization of annual Briefing Books for members of Congress by UNA-USA members.
National Leadership Support
- Serve as staff liaison for Advocacy Committee of UNA-USA National Council, including the coordination and support of monthly meetings, agenda development, reporting at monthly National Council meetings, and follow up as necessary.
- Develop and implement content for monthly Advocacy Lead sessions, incorporating members of Advocacy Committee when possible.
- Outline approaches and tactics for Regional Representatives to encourage identification and empowerment of an Advocacy Lead per each community and campus chapter.
- Keep up to date on advocacy best practices and platforms to ensure that UNA-USA is reaching a diverse audience to empower as advocates.
- Ensure that all UNA-USA programming and communication vehicles, to the extent possible, includes an advocacy action or ask, with a way to measure and evaluate all actions.
- Manage all aspects of the Quarterly Advocacy Report, including data collection, analysis, and review both internally with UNA-USA staff and externally with UNA-USA Advocacy Committee members to drive tactics for upcoming quarter.
- Collaborate on development and utilization of Members of Congress report card to support UNA-USA goals and objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- College degree required.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience with a track record of success in grassroots advocacy and mobilization for an issue-driven initiative.
- Ability to work across party lines in a non-partisan fashion required; Capitol Hill experience preferred.
- Experience working with volunteer advocates is a plus.
- Enthusiastic and energetic self-starter with a positive, proactive attitude who enjoys working with constituents, collaborating with staff, and organizing events.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, in person, over phone and in writing.
- Experience in developing written materials and correspondence for grassroots and advocacy related purposes (ie: blog-posts, requests for congressional meetings, event promotion, etc.).
- Experience in engaging diverse grassroots constituencies, such as university students, civil society groups, families, or faith-based communities.
- Passion for the UN Foundation's mission and the United Nations Association of the USA.
- Team player that is interested in being part of a highly functioning, fast-paced group of professionals and capable of developing effective working relationships with people from a variety of organizations and functional expertise.
- Experience with Salesforce databases preferred.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.