The United Nations Association of the USA (UNA-USA) works closely with the UN Foundation by educating, inspiring, and mobilizing Americans to support the principles and vital work of the United Nations. UNA-USA represents a grassroots membership that includes 200 chapters and more than 20,000 members nationwide who engage in public education and advocacy initiatives, promoting strong U.S.-UN relations.
This position uniquely combines interests in international relations, public policy, grassroots movements, constituency building, and communications/public relations — all for the purpose of strengthening the U.S-UN relationship.
Working with members of the UNA-USA and Public Affairs teams, the Communications Officer, UNA-USA will develop and implement UNA-USA’s strategic communications plan to support the Association’s membership, chapter programs, and advocacy objectives, as well as coordinating the interface of communications functions with other divisions of the Foundation. The Communications Officer, UNA-USA will also supervise the Member Communications Associate, UNA-USA in the development and execution of members-only communications and campaigns.
The Communications Officer, UNA-USA plays a critical role in meeting strategic business goals through brand development, website development and management, social media, member communications, marketing, media relations and outreach, and by working closely with UNA-USA leadership, communications colleagues, and the broader Public Affairs team.
The Communications Officer, UNA-USA will report to the Senior Director, UNA-USA, and work closely with UNA-USA leadership and the Member Communications Associate, UNA-USA. The Communications Officer, UNA-USA will also manage the Member Communications Associate, UNA-USA. The position will collaborate regularly with UNA-USA chapters nationwide. As such, this position will require travel.
Communications Strategy & Brand Management
- Develop and implement a strategic communications plan and content strategy that supports UNA-USA’s growth objectives, advances UNA-USA’s advocacy and public policy objectives, increases the visibility of UNA-USA’s brand, and aligns with the UN Foundation’s general brand principles
- Oversee and ensure brand consistency for UNA-USA visual identity into all forms of communications and products
- Review and edit all UNA-USA publications and communications to ensure cohesiveness, quality, and that brand standards are met
- Manage public communications strategy and execution for marquee events and programs (e.g. Global Engagement Summit, Leadership Summit, Global Engagement Online Series, UN Day) to conceptualize themes and branding, manage digital recruitment, create promotional assets, design social media engagement strategies, and plan content generation tactics for the event
- Oversee development and implementation of media outreach strategies around key UNA-USA moments and events
- Leverage communications opportunities to engage UNA-USA members to build constituencies to affect policy, such as providing target audiences with toolkits, videos, op-eds, guides, and identifying evergreen content
- Manages creative communications budget with oversight from the Sr. Director
Web Strategy & Digital Development
- Manage UNA-USA’s website design, development, and general maintenance
- Conceptualize, write, edit, design and post new web content on UNA-USA website
- Act as lead copywriter of UNA-USA’s website redesign and updates
- Ensure day-to-day implementation of UNA-USA’s digital properties
- Work closely with Advocacy Officer, UNA-USA to draft statements and emails, and identify key moments for digital activations
- Work to increase digital advocacy actions across all platforms. Explore new messaging angles and digital tools to generate petition responses
Social Media & Digital Assets
- Manage social media strategy aligned to key events and objectives. Create social media content for all platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Track social media analytics and make data-driven decisions
- Oversee the development and execution of social media campaigns to promote and raise awareness for marquee events, elevate member stories, and recruit new members. Determine when paid advertising should be employed
- Produce graphics for use on social media channels, in emails, and on the website, as needed. Provide feedback and edits for graphics created by Member Communications Associate, UNA-USA to ensure quality and brand standards
- Provide social media support to Executive Director, UNA-USA
- Manage email marketing strategy for UNA-USA. Responsibilities include drafting and coding emails, creating targeted distribution groups, editing email content to optimize digital engagement, creating landing pages or petitions, and reporting on metrics
- Work with Member Communications Associate, UNA-USA, and other UNA-USA staff to write and edit all communications content, including emails, blog posts, and petitions.
- Identify opportunities to employ automated email series for event promotion/registration, and member recruitment/engagement campaigns. Work with the Membership Team to ensure existing automated series remain up to date
Management & Collaboration
- Manage Member Communications Associate, UNA-USA and provide them with guidance, support, and productive feedback. Help them to define career goals and objectives, promote strengths, and improve on weaknesses within their role. Maintain professional relationship and foster mentorship
- Ensure UNA-USA initiatives and opportunities are communicated internally to the UN Foundation staff
- Work closely with Executive Director, UNA-USA to identify opportunities for speaking engagements, as well as write speeches, scripts, and/or statements
- Work with UNA-USA’s Youth Engagement Manager to oversee communications activities for the U.S. Youth Observer to the UN program, including the interview and training process, as well as coordination of media interviews and speaking engagements
- Serve as staff contact for UNA-USA’s Communications Committee. Work with Committee Chair and Vice-Chair to develop agendas and outline goals and project deliverables. Work with Committee Chair to explore new ways to support chapters in expanding their communications efforts and programs
- Oversee contractual processes with vendors hired to support communications
- Maintain working knowledge of the UNF agreement process (for both contracts and grants), and when to utilize the proper templates accordingly. (As applicable to the role)
- Draft and review agreements and maintain an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with UNF’s finance/contracts team as needed. (As applicable to the role)
- Attend training sessions provided by UNF’s contracts team to maintain and keep up to date with UNF’s current policies and procedures. (As applicable to the role)
- Maintain a strong knowledge of UNF’s Salesforce database to be able to process and track agreements, extract information and prepare reports. (As applicable to the role)
- Other duties as assigned
- In-depth knowledge and passion for international relations, public policy, and grassroots movements
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Public Relations, International Relations, Journalism, or related field preferred, plus 3-55-7 years of experience in communications or public relations required
- Excellent writing, editing, interpersonal, and oral communications skills, and demonstrated experience in crafting campaign messages and content
- Knowledge and prior use of HTML, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of and experience with video editing software such as Adobe Premiere required
- Proficiency in CRM & CMS —Salesforce, EveryAction, and/or WordPress highly preferable
- Proficiency in social media monitoring, paid advertising, and analytics tools, such as Google AdWords and Google Analytics
- Experience maintaining and managing organizational social networking accounts (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Knowledge and prior use of Slack preferred
- Experience working with grassroots organizations
- A keen sense of what makes and shapes the news, and the ability to make well-informed decisions in targeting appropriate media outlets and reporters
- Knowledge of new media including blogs, social networking, and online news outlets, and how to utilize them strategically
- Strong skills working in teams and across many types of organizations – collaborator; problem solver; relationship-builder; and strong interpersonal skills
- Highly organized with attention to detail and adherence to deadlines
- Multicultural experience and willingness to travel (up to 20%).
- Ability to multitask in a very fast-paced, often rapidly changing environment
- A demonstrated knowledge of global issues and the UN system, and an understanding of the UN Foundation mission, programs, strategy, and goals
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.