NOTE: WFP DOES NOT SOLICIT FOR FEES OR ANY FORM OF PAYMENT FROM JOB APPLICANTS
WFP is looking for talented people who are committed to joining our efforts to eradicate hunger. It offers unlimited opportunities to grow your professionalism, talent and expertise. Start your journey to be a member of the world-wide effort to eradicate hunger. WFP has a policy of affirmative action for women.
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
Brief description of WFP in Uganda
WFP delivers food assistance in emergencies and work with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. WFP provides life-saving food assistance and livelihood opportunities to refugees in Uganda. In addition, WFP assists the most vulnerable people in Karamoja with food and nutrition assistance. Finally, WFP works with smallholder farmers and links them to markets.
As Uganda strives to achieve Zero Hunger by 2030 and become a middle-income country by 2040, WFP is also assessing its relevance and repositioning its role in Uganda.
ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE?
We are seeking a qualified individual for the position of Programme Policy Officer (Proposal Development, Reporting and Information Management) SC8 to be based in Kampal. The selected candidate will be employed on Service Contract.
These jobs are found in Headquarters (HQ), Regional Bureaux (RBs) or Country Offices (COs) and job holders report to a more senior Programme Policy Officer.
Job holders are likely to be working under the close support and guidance of a more experienced professional staff member receiving guidance and regular feedback on work performed. They are typically involved in programme or policy activities or similar nature and analytical work of limited complexity.
To provide support to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs.
Lead on behalf of Crisis Response Unit, on the coordination of the submission of high-quality concept notes and funding proposals and ensure they are developed in a timely manner.
• Coordinate proposal requirements and timelines for inputs into and review of proposals with WFP’s Partnership Development Unit and Crisis Response Unit programme staff
• Gather inputs from cooperating partners, field staff, AMEL, and other programme units as necessary for drafting the required proposal documents.
• Monitor progress against the timeline set for proposal development, communicating regularly with all stakeholders and escalating issues when necessary
. • Support the organization, packaging, utilization and dissemination of SO1-specific information to inform programme design, implementation and presentation to external audiences;
• Support the SO1 Manager with the development and review of concept notes, briefing document and presentation for internal and external audiences.
• Support the external information provision and reporting requirements of the country office inclusive of donor reports in relation to SO1.
• Coordinate for SO1, the internal reporting requirements of the country office inclusive of monthly Country Briefs and ad hoc briefing materials as required.
• Work with Operational Information Management & Reports Officer to build the capacity of field staff in concept note development.
• Other as required
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance||Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.|
|Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Voucher)||Demonstrates ability to analyse and consolidate quantitative and qualitative information from different sources (e.g., market studies) to inform transfer modality selection and programme development.|
|Broad Knowledge of Specialized areas (i.e. Nutrition, VAM, etc.)||Demonstrates the ability to interpret basic data in the context of WFP specialised fields to contribute to technical programme design, implementation and monitoring.|
|Emergency Programming||Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.|
|Strategic Policy Engagement w/ Government||Develops thorough recommendations using multiple inputs (e.g., government counsel, research, own experience) to strengthen national or subnational entities and government owned food and nutrition security programmes.|
Advanced University degree in Political Science, Economics, Information Management or Journalism, Business Management, Social Sciences or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
• At least five years’ experience as a proposal development / reports officer or in a related functional role; a good understanding of humanitarian and development assistance programmes in Uganda.
• Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability.
Fluency in oral and written English
• Excellent writing skills. •
Strong analytical skills with the ability to analyse and interpret information and draw out the key messages.
• Strong understanding of concept note / proposal development principals with a broad knowledge of best practices, techniques and processes in meeting donor reporting requirements.
• Uses sound theoretical understanding of WFP’s programmes and operations to generate or facilitate the generation of effective concept notes and funding proposals. Applies this to define capacity strengthening work plan for WFP field staff, aligned to identified areas of WFP’s programmatic strategy.
• Demonstrates deep understanding of the humanitarian-development nexus context in which WFP operates, which influences approach to working, policy development and decision making.
• Resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgment, tact, ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing, ability to work in a team, and establish effective working relations with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds.
• Ability to work well under pressure and work to deadlines
. • Exhibited ability to communicate effectively and build sustainable partnerships across units.
• Taken initiatives when developing funding proposals.
• Proven effective cognitive abilities, analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrated learning agility and thirst for constant growth.
• Displayed openness and passion for new experiences and multicultural environments.
• Deepened technical knowledge through exposure to technical teams.
Thursday 24th June 2021
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.