OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Communicable Diseases and Health Analysis Department (CDE) promotes, coordinates, and implements technical cooperation activities directed toward the surveillance, prevention, control and elimination of communicable diseases and zoonoses that are technically sound and appropriate for the political and sociocultural context in which they are implemented. It strives to achieve a sustainable impact on health by providing normative guidance, furthering the implementation of evidence-based interventions, and fostering alliances that strengthen country capacity, improve the effectiveness of inter-country collaboration, and facilitate policy and decision-making processes through improved health information coverage, analysis and quality at all levels.
PURPOSE OF THE CONSULTANCY
The Communicable Diseases and Environmental Determinants of Health Department (CDE) is establishing a roster of qualified environmental health specialists with expertise in Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) to support the implementation of the Organization’s technical cooperation program for AMR in the Region, more specifically the development and implementation of National One Health AMR action plans, in line with the Global Action Plan.
The consultant is expected to deliver the following:
- Develop guidance and tools for the engagement of the environmental sector in the national AMR response through multisectoral coordination and participation in the development, implementation, and monitoring of One Health National Action Plans on AMR.
- Contribute to AMR advocacy and awareness activities with regards to the role of the environment in the emergence and spread of AMR and the importance of the involvement of the environmental sector in fighting AMR.
- Conduct a literature review of environmental interventions conducted to date to prevent and contain AMR and synthesize the latest evidence of their effectiveness or impact.
- Develop a research agenda to address knowledge gaps regarding the role of the environment, specifically water, sanitation and hygiene factors in the development and spread of resistant pathogens in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of One Health integrated surveillance in the region, including the definition of core data variables to be collected from the environmental sector, data analysis and interpretation.
- Develop guidance for the assessment of the risk of AMR in the environment for human and animal health, definition of management goals and of environmental management options in collaboration with other teams in the Organization.
- Provide recommendations for national or local AMR risk mitigation based on findings from environmental AMR surveillance and risk assessments in the Region, as needed.
Essential: A bachelor’s degree in Health Sciences, Environmental Health, Medicine, Veterinary or Pharmacy.
Desirable: A master’s degree in public health or epidemiology would be an asset.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org/search/default.asp and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential: Minimum of 5 years of national and/or international experience in environmental health in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Desirable: Experience in AMR policy, surveillance, or research.
Use of language skills:
Essential: Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with a working knowledge of the other language.
Desirable: Knowledge of Portuguese and/or French would be an asset.
Will be based on PAHO scales for International consultants. Current daily rates range from USD 172 – USD 314 (A-Band to B-Band).
Depending on the specific assignment.
To be determined in function of the specific assignments.
- This vacancy notice may be used to identify candidates for other similar consultancies at the same level.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO/WHO Regulations, and e-Manual.
- For information on PAHO please visit: http://www.paho.org
- If your candidature is retained for interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. PAHO/WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
- Consultants shall perform the work as independent contractors in a personal capacity, and not as a representative of any entity or authority. The execution of the work under a consultant contract does not create an employer/employee relationship between PAHO and the Consultant.
- PAHO/WHO shall have no responsibility whatsoever for any taxes, duties, social security contributions or other contributions payable by the Consultant. The Consultant shall be solely responsible for withholding and paying any taxes, duties, social security contributions and any other contributions which are applicable to the Consultant in each location/jurisdiction in which the work hereunder is performed, and the Consultant shall not be entitled to any reimbursement thereof by PAHO/WHO.
- All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this consultancy.