The Budget Analyst works with a variety of teams to track and analyze UNF’s budgets and management reports, prepare ad hoc financial analyses, and provide analytical and project support to the Executive Director and CFO. Provides the data and reports necessary for the Foundation to present information to the UN (through JCC meetings and UNFIP Advisory Board meetings) and to the Board of Directors twice a year.
The Budget Analyst is a member of the Finance team and reports to the Executive Director.
- Work with the Budget Team to develop, record and track the organizations annual financial budget
- Prepare monthly budget-to-actual reports. Identify and analyze significant variances. Review results and variances with stakeholders in conjunction with the Executive Director
- Help manage the allocation of revenue and forecasted opportunities in UNF’s Salesforce system
- Prepare reports for the JCC, UNFIP advisory Board, and UNF Board Meetings
- Help to coordinate work within the Budget team and provide training when necessary around Budget templates, payroll, audit support, and updating of overall foundation reports
- Work with assigned teams to develop, maintain and monitor budgets as they relate to different projects and third-party contribution agreements
- Track contracts and grants related to specific budgets. This includes consultant contracts, contributions agreements and grant agreements
- Prepare accurate forecast models for individual projects to help project cash flow needs and identify priorities
- Work with assigned teams to help identify appropriate financial and accounting coding for donor funds, invoices and expenses, and grants
- Work with assigned teams on budgets for proposals and help prepare accurate financial statements for reports to donors
- Provides support to the Finance Department with the annual financial audit and audit of U.S. government-funded programs in compliance with the Single Audit Act
- Provides support to the Finance Department with the preparation and submission of the annual IRS Form 990
- Performs duties related to the investment portfolio, revenue, expense, payables, and receivables functions as assigned and reassigned from time to time to meet the deadlines/ objectives of the Finance Department
- Run “what if” iterations of different budget scenarios
- Respond to ad hoc requests for budget information and analysis
- Develop full reporting knowledge of Salesforce, Financial Edge, Raisers’ Edge (financial), and GIFTS for Windows in order to be able to extract information and prepare reports and analyses
- Provide training and support as necessary for stakeholders to understand the budgeting model, process, and work products. Ensure appropriate documentation to facilitate understanding.
- Complete special projects
- Ensure excellent customer service by providing timely and accurate information to stakeholders as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in accounting/finance.3 – 6 years’ experience preparing operating and program budgets, budget-to-actual reports, and performance reports
- Strong interpersonal skills including the desire and ability to work graciously, patiently, and effectively with a wide variety of non-financial stakeholders on a daily basis
- Strong analytical skills coupled with expert level Excel/budget software skills and the ability to self-review work for reasonableness and accuracy
- Proven ability to learn financial systems and develop custom reports
- Willingness to work “hands-on” as a cooperative and collaborative member of the Finance and budget team.
- Flexibility and the willingness and ability to respond to a rapidly changing environment
- Intellectual curiosity and the desire and ability to develop new knowledge, skills, and abilities as needed to perform the position’s responsibilities
- Previous experience participating in or managing project budgets desirable
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to all stakeholders
- Ability to work independently as well as cooperative and collaborative
- Ability to take initiative, and prioritize multiple and competing priorities
- Dependable, consistent and extremely accurate
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.