POSITION TITLE: Production Lead, Liberia Agriculture Markets Activity
GROUP: Agriculture & Volunteer Programs
REPORTS TO: Chief of Party
Winrock International works with people around the world to increase economic opportunity, sustain natural resources, and protect the environment. Winrock is seeking a Chief of Party to lead a dynamic team in implementing an anticipated USAID project that will facilitate resilient, agriculture-led economic growth and increase agricultural productivity. The project is expected to use a market systems approach to promote access to and adoption of improved inputs, market information, extension and advisory services, market access, and post-harvest services. The anticipated project will facilitate innovative partnerships that incentivize private sector investment in modernizing Liberia’s agriculture sector, specifically agri-input suppliers, while increasing production capacity and building resilience for smallholder farmers.
The Production Lead will be responsible for the technical design, implementation, and partnership strategy for interventions to improve smallholder farmer productivity under the anticipated USAID-funded Liberia Agriculture Markets Activity. S/he will lead a team toward facilitated approaches to engage private sector firms in promoting adoption of inputs, practices, and technologies that result in higher productivity, sustained natural resources, resilient growth, and improved food security.
- Provide technical leadership for design and implementation of activities to promote the adoption of inputs, practices, and technologies using a market systems development approach;
- Build capacity of technical and other project staff, partners, and stakeholders for implementing market systems strategies for increasing agricultural production;
- Implement diagnostics and assessments for identifying and mitigating shocks and stresses, evaluating market opportunities, identifying partners, and designing project partnerships;
- Strengthen cohesive farmer groups to improve access to knowledge, inputs, finance and markets;
- Identify and manage partnerships that contribute both sustainable and inclusive benefits to smallholder farmers and to anticipated project results;
- Understand and manage expected project results, including evaluation of ongoing activities as part of a collaborating, learning, and adapting approach;
- Provide thought leadership for government of Liberia counterparts, private sector businesses, USAID, and other stakeholders in understanding and implementing strategies to improve productivity;
- Co-facilitate quarterly Pause and Reflect sessions to capture learning, introduce improvements, and achieve meaningful results;
- Contribute to knowledge management and sharing activities within project, with USAID, other implementing partners, and with government;
- Support an efficient and accurate data collection and analysis system;
- Work closely with the field team and project staff to develop annual workplans aligned with annual and life of project targets; and,
- Collaborate with communications team to visualize and disseminate important findings.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
Education: Degree in agricultural science or related field.
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience managing and implementing productivity enhancing activities for international development projects in Liberia;
- Experience managing and providing technical direction to technical teams for agricultural productivity enhancement and market systems development, including training, capacity building, mentorship, and day-to-day management; and,
- Experience in agriculture, food security, post-harvest handling and processing, and/or market access.
- Familiarity with market systems development framework, including tools, strategies, and approaches;
- Knowledge the Liberian agriculture sector – including strong understanding of historical and existing strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats, as well as constraints and opportunities for women and youth;
- Strong training design, training delivery, and facilitation skills;
- Strong personnel management skills; and,
- Excellent written and oral communication skill in English required.
Winrock is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and value diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law.