Chief of Party, Liberia Agriculture Markets Activity
Winrock International works with people around the world to increase economic opportunity, sustain natural resources, and protect the environment. Winrock is seeking a Chief of Party to lead a dynamic team in implementing an anticipated USAID project that will facilitate resilient, agriculture-led economic growth and increase agricultural productivity. The project is expected to use a market systems approach to promote access to and adoption of improved inputs, market information, extension and advisory services, market access, and post-harvest services. The anticipated project will facilitate innovative partnerships that incentivize private sector investment in modernizing Liberia’s agriculture sector, specifically agri-input suppliers, while increasing production capacity and building resilience for smallholder farmers.
The Chief of Party will be responsible for overall project management, administration, and implementation of the anticipated USAID-funded Liberia Agriculture Markets Activity. S/he will maintain systems for project operations; ensure that all award deadlines are met, and targets are achieved; oversee field staff; and coordinate and maintain working relationships with project stakeholders. This includes government ministries, subgrantees and/or subcontractors, short-term technical support providers, and local training/academic institutions. S/he will lead collaborative initiatives to ensure all approaches are sustainable, inclusive, cross-sectoral, and evidence-based.
- Design and lead the technical approach, including piloting, testing, and scaling innovative implementation models and partnerships;
- Coordinate and collaborate with private sector firms, farmers and farming groups, government counterparts, and other relevant to leverage resources and maximize results;
- Provide technical direction to diagnostics and assessments for evaluating market opportunities, identifying partners, and designing project partnerships;
- Serve as the principal liaison with USAID, other donors, key government officials, and international and local organizations, representing Winrock International;
- Provide high-level oversight for project administrative functions including financial management, human resources and procurement while ensuring compliance with Winrock policies and principles and USAID rules and regulations;
- Design and lead interventions that build the capacity of staff and key stakeholders in government, private sector, and producers;
- Provide supervision, support, and direction to long- and short-term staff and technical consultants;
- Monitor program performance through indicators and evaluate program effectiveness and results;
- Apply adaptive management and learning approach to iteratively evaluate program results and impact. Institute adjustments to replicate and scale successful activities and course correct activities that are not yielding desired results;
- Prepare annual work plans and progress reports and monitor the implementation of these plans. Prepare and submit quarterly and annual reports on the progress of activities and achievement of program results to USAID;
- Maintain close communication with Winrock home office and USAID to provide ongoing, informal updates of project progress; and,
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
Education: Academic degree in international development, business administration, or agronomy. Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of COP-level experience for contract or cooperative agreement of >$20 million;
- Minimum 10 years of experience managing complex agriculture market systems development programs;
- Technical experience working in West Africa, preferably in agricultural market systems development, enterprise development, etc;
- Experience designing, implementing and coaching project staff and partners on systems-based interventions required;
- Experience operationalizing iterative learning systems consistent with USAID’s collaborating, learning, and adapting (CLA) framework;
- Experience designing and implementing services and/or activities to reach youth and female clients;
- Experience developing partnerships with and supporting private sector actors; and,
- Prior experience working with the DCA loan guarantee preferred.
- Ability to supervise, challenge, and build capacity of staff and coordinate activities with partners from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences;
- Ability to build coalitions and networks with private sector actors that can provide synergies and sustainable solutions;
- Must be comfortable in high-level representational role as well as interacting with beneficiaries;
- Demonstrated understanding with USG M&E frameworks and reporting systems. Skills in knowledge management, qualitative and quantitative analytical methods, data analysis, collaboration, learning and adaptation (CLA) approach preferred;
- Excellent management, communication, and organization skills are required; and,
- Excellent computer skills (word-processing, spreadsheets, and databases) are required.
Other: Fluency in English is required.
Winrock is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and value diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law.