Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of Sri Lanka.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Sri Lanka Resident Mission (SLRM) within the South Asia Department.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Associate Project Officer/Project Officer (Finance) will closely work with the Finance and Public Sector Management Division (SAPF) within the South Asia Department (SARD) for project processing and implementation of all operations related to finance sector and public sector management in Sri Lanka. Other activities include support to ADB’s Office of Public Private Partnership (OPPP), for facilitating collaboration between SARD and OPPP. The incumbent will report to designated international staff and senior national staff.
- Finance Sector and Public Sector Management
- Develops interventions that allow ADB to play a catalytic role in leveraging domestic and international capital.
- Develops strong working relations and personal network with the government, central bank, other regulators, and financial sector stakeholders. and key market participants to support origination and implementation of loans, grants, and technical assistance (TA) projects.
- Monitors Sri Lanka’s policy frameworks for financial inclusion, small medium enterprise (SME) lending, infrastructure finance, public-private partnerships (PPPs), capital markets and housing finance, and identify policy gaps.
- Monitors financial market conditions in Sri Lanka including credit, liquidity, and the financial strength of key financial institutions.
- Explains ADB's policies and procedures related to financial governance, analysis, management, and auditing to executing and implementing agencies, and helps implementing agencies to resolve problems.
- Coordinates with HQ for consistency of approach, exchange of experiences, and continuous improvement of practices in financial intermediation and financial sector development projects.
- Evaluates the impact of financial intermediation and financial sector development projects to enhance the quality of the pipeline of projects.
- Private Sector Development, with a focus on Public-Private Partnerships (PPP)
- Advises and assists SARD sector divisions in identifying, developing, structuring, and executing non-sovereign and sovereign PPP projects across all sectors. Actively supports the development and financing of demonstration projects which apply innovative PPP approaches.
- Supports project/transaction design, prepares and implements the collaborative project by the SARD and OPPP.
- Facilitates coordination between SARD and OPPP for their collaborative work to promote PPP transactions in Sri Lanka.
- Assesses the issues of enabling environment for private sector investments and PPP transactions and undertake consultations with relevant government counterparts.
- Strategy and planning, and knowledge sharing
- Provides input for country partnership strategies (CPSs) and annual business plans and economic, thematic and sector work undertaken by sector divisions.
- Actively supports SAPF in upstream policy work to develop financial sector and SME related programs.
- Drafts as well as provide comments on project, policy, and other papers relating to financial intermediation and financial sector development, private sector development and PPPs.
- Undertakes broader knowledge initiatives including on financial institutions, capital markets, PPPs, and innovative financing with a view to support policy dialogue and project design.
- Leads and/or participates in relevant ADB missions and assists in organizing meetings, workshops, seminars, and field work.
- Administers sovereign loans, grants, and technical assistance in Sri Lanka.
- Facilitates policy dialogue with governments, development partners, the private sector, and other stakeholders to identify and address challenges relating to financial sector development and to scaling up private sector development and PPPs in Sri Lanka.
- Liaises and coordinates with development partners and private sector financiers on co-financing for PPPs.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, public policy, economics, or relevant fields; preferably with advanced training or academic qualification, such as Chartered Financial Analyst.
- At least 6 years of relevant experience working in the field of financial sector, public management, and private sector development (including PPP).
- Experience in at least two of the following activities: (a) financial policy formulation, (b) advisory for SME and agriculture business development and finance, (c) private sector credit operations, such as originations of loans, equities, and alternative financial products, (c) financial risk management or (d) advisory on financial services, including PPP and other innovative structured products.
- Substantial local knowledge on the policy, regulatory and institutional aspects of key financial sector and private sector development agenda, such as financial inclusion (including gender empowerment), SME lending, infrastructure finance, PPPs, climate finance, capital markets, housing finance and financial technology.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills, including the capability of financial modeling, financial statement analysis, and statistical analysis using macroeconomic indicators and micro-level survey data.
- Self-starter with high work ethics and eagerness to learn.
- Excellent interpersonal relationship and management skills in a working environment with cultural diversity.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Prior experience working in an international financial institution is desirable.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Levels 1 and 2. and NS2.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.