FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research, technology, communication, and social marketing — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
FHI 360 is currently recruiting for the position of Accountant for a USAID/Kyrgyz Republic civic organizing program. This five-year project will improve people’s lives in Kyrgyzstan by helping communities, local governments, NGOs, and the private sector jointly identify and solve local-level issues.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs and manages the day-to-day financial and accounting operations.
- Reviews all payment documents for proper and adequate payment and accounting.
- Reviews and produces a collection of primary documents, scan, and save in the organization’s Share Point.
- Prepares bank vouchers. Work with online internet banking system. Ensures per diem, travel advance, and procurement policies are strictly enforced.
- Reviews Country Office monthly financial reports for month-end closings involving cash and travel reconciliations, accuracy of reports, and cost allowances.
- Work may include reconciliation of accounts or reports, examination of various financial statements for accuracy, completeness, and conformance to guidelines, and maintenance of subsidiary ledgers.
- Assists in various financial analysis projects and closure of accounting records.
- Reconciles sub-recipients with the General Ledger accounts.
- Reviews inter department cash requests and journal entries.
- Assists with internal and external audit requests.
- Maintenance of project accounts in 1C 8.3 accounting software. Enter daily operations into the programs: 1C and GFAS.
- Strictly adhering to the finance discipline.
- Any other relevant tasks as assigned by FHI360 Management.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Apply general knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), practices and reporting guidelines.
- May apply knowledge of program specifics.
- Possess general knowledge of applicable information technology systems and uses them to meet deadlines.
- Compile, monitor, examine, and audit various financial statements/reports for accuracy and integrity and conformance to accepted accounting and program guidelines.
- Draw conclusions and prepare written findings following GAAP and/or other applicable accounting guidelines, and present recommendations supported by facts.
- Prepare financial reports.
- Input data into ledgers and sub- ledgers.
- Maintain data integrity and recognize and research unusual activity for further investigation.
- Understand and adhere to systems of internal control.
- Prepare written and/or technical products following standard guidelines; may review and edit the work of others.
- Communicate structured information in a clear, concise, and organized manner suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships that foster organizational success.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Identify and recognize routine or standard problems that have established precedents.
- Develop solutions to routine issues and refer non-standard questions and more difficult problems to higher levels.
- Translates information provided in an incorrect form to meet required standard.
- Explains basic accounting trends and variations from prior periods, budget and/or forecast.
- Resolves basic issues with ledger accounts and internal policies and procedures. * Demonstrates an understanding of system functionality to provide answers for financial requests.
- Errors may be detected and corrected.
- An appropriate audit trail is maintained for all transactions.
- Month end closing deadlines and processes are met timely.
- External and internal audit requests are met timely, without outstanding issues.
- General supervision and instructions given for routine work and detailed instructions given for new activities or special assignments.
- Provide assistance to a higher-level manager in recruitment and selection process.
- May implement work plans and provide input for performance reviews with the assistance of a higher-level manager.
- Bachelor's Degree or its International Equivalent - Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or Related Field
- At least 5 years accounting experience in non-commercial /non-governmental organization or accounting firm. Work experience in the project financed by USAID is an advantage.
- Working knowledge of accounting standards and finance functions. Competent in IFRS theory and practice.
- Proficiency in 1C accounting software, spreadsheet software required.
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English and fluent in host country language.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data, identify errors, and prepare reports.
- Ability to work well with others and independently.
- Good problem-solving skills, well organized and detailed oriented.
0-3 years of experience in providing outstanding customer service, performing complex activities associated with maintaining ledger accounts, and in ensuring compliance with company’s system of internal controls is required.
Computerized accounting software experience required.
Proficiency in spreadsheet software required.
Articulate and professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive fashion with clients and staff.
Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English.
Prior work experience in a non- governmental organization (NGO). * Prior experience using Microsoft Office Suite preferred.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Word (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, fax machine, cell phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360's Career Portal.