The first year of contract will be probationary with the possibility of further extension subject to satisfactory performance. This post is limited to local status* only. *Local status requires applicants to have unhindered permission to live and work in the UK.
Approximately £26,544 net per annum, (subject to deductions), free of income tax in the UK. Excellent benefits including medical insurance and UN pension scheme.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Word Processing, Spanish Translation Section, Conference Division, the incumbent will carry out proofreading and audio typing in Spanish, as well as other associated duties, to support the work of the Spanish Translation Section.
This vacancy is open to all qualified candidates. IMO seeks to increase the number of women at all levels and, therefore, qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply. IMO will make every effort to facilitate the employment of persons with disabilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Format, correct, check and edit internal and external documents including graphs, charts, tables and equations, in accordance with the relevant IMO document guidelines.
- Convert material from Excel, PDF and PowerPoint into Microsoft Word documentation.
- Transcribe from digital audio equipment as required, paying attention to syntax, grammar and spelling.
- Liaise with translators should clarification on the translation be required.
- Edit and reformat documents received from outside sources, in electronic format.
- Proofread documents, including checking the accuracy of final texts for potential grammar, punctuation and spelling errors, omissions and presentation against the final English version.
- Check final Word documents uploaded on the IMO document management system for bitext alignment.
- Efficiently process high volumes of work and perform independently under general guidance.
- Participate in night shift/overtime rota, as required.
- Cover for the absence of other staff within Spanish Word Processing.
- Perform any related duties, as may be required.
- Punctuality, reliability and excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently under general guidance.
- Proactive and reliable approach, with demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize workloads, as well as to work under pressure.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to establish working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, at all levels.
Minimum of four years’ experience in an administrative support role, including audio/typing or word processing of documents. Experience in proofreading. Experience within an international organization would be an asset.
Secondary education to university entrance standard.
Excellent command of written and oral Spanish to mother tongue standard, including a thorough knowledge of Spanish grammar and spelling. Working knowledge of English, both written and oral is essential. Knowledge of any other UN official languages, particularly French, would be an asset.
Excellent proofreading skills. Fast and accurate typing skills including audio typing. Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, particularly in Word and Excel.