Mississauga, ON, Canada Req #646
Thursday, May 13, 2021
Are you looking for more than a job? At World Vision Canada we offer challenging careers that change the lives of children all over the world and it will change yours too. Come and be part of a team of 400 Canadians with a vision for the world: Life in all its fullness for every child.
You will experience Christian faith in action helping to make real and lasting change in the lives of the world’s most vulnerable children. Join the World Vision Canada team and be part of a powerful and effective force for good:
For Children. For Change. For Life.
Position: General Counsel
Reports to: Chief Finance and Administration Officer
Position Term: Full time permanent
Deadline: Until filled
The General Counsel is responsible for providing ongoing strategic legal advice to WVC. As the primary legal advisor to the Board of Directors, the Senior Leadership Team and all departments, the General Counsel supports the organization to carry out its mission in compliance with applicable laws, regulations and policies and at acceptable levels of risk.
Reporting to the Chief Finance and Administration Officer, the General Counsel leads the Legal Services department that provides oversight and supervision on all legal issues concerning WVC, including engagement within the World Vision Partnership, contractual considerations, legal entitlements and estate matters. The General Counsel will also act as the organization’s Privacy Officer.
Duties and responsibilities
Provision of Legal Services:
- Manage all in-house legal matters arising within or concerning the organization.
- Provide legal advice and counsel on all aspects of the organization’s operations, including, but not limited to, marketing, fundraising (directly and through third parties), international programming and advocacy, lobbyist registrations, intellectual property, privacy, security and management of data, safeguarding, charity legislation and tax law, CRA regulatory requirements, trusts & estates, anti-terrorism and anti-corruption, federal competition legislation and grant funding from governments, multilateral, bilateral, foundations, and private donors, contracts entered into by the organization, PR related matters, donor consideration, extra-provincial filings and licenses, participating in accreditation programs with umbrella organizations, external and internal audits and engagements with regulators.
- Provide counsel and advise the Board of Directors. Attend board meetings and the meetings of the Audit & Risk Committee. Carry out Corporate Secretary functions, as needed and upon request.
- Provide advice to all levels of management regarding legal and business issues, and in particular, support the Senior Leadership Team on any legal and regulatory matters.
- Attend and participate in senior management meetings, as required.
- Provide advice on privacy-related matters and act as Privacy Officer for WVC
- Oversee the administration of estate gifts to WVC across various jurisdictions, negotiate and finalize estate documentation to be entered into by WVC and provide recommendations related to same.
- Develop, review and recommend policies and procedures required to mitigate risk, improve business operations or as legally required.
- Review and advise on all significant contracts entered into by the organization, and initiate and draft unique contracts and agreements, as may be required.
- Draft and update template agreements used by the organization in its business operations.
Provision of Legal Oversight:
- Manage the Legal Services team by providing direction, leadership and performance objectives and complete all administrative tasks required, such as budgets, and performance management assessments.
- Oversee and manage all external counsel relationships and ensure effectiveness and efficiency of the legal department.
- Liaise with other World Vision offices on international matters or matters related to World Vision Canada programing and operations.
- Manage litigation on behalf of the organization, ensuring proper resolution and report on such matters to the Audit and Risk Committee of the board.
- Provide advice to, serve on and chair, various internal committees within the organization.
- Ensure all corporate registrations and annual filings and licenses are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Manage and provide direction on estate administration carried out by the Law Clerk function.
- Organize and deliver presentations to staff on legal and compliance considerations related to WVC business operations.
- Collaborate with external and internal auditors, as may be required.
- At least 8-10 years of working experience in a premier law firm and/or in-house environment.
- Must have LL.B or JD from an accredited program and institution;
- Qualified to practice law in the Province of Ontario;
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario;
- Extensive knowledge of charity and tax law, estate and trusts administration, privacy, international development and administration of government contracts and NFP governance.
- A quick and independent learner with an ability to analyze complex legal structures and documents and the ability to manage risks in keeping with World Visions mission and values and organizational structure.
- Strong organizational, time-management, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work in a demanding team-oriented environment;
- Adaptive legal skills; capable of responding to a wide range of legal challenges in both a proactive and reactive manner.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a wide variety of areas of the law.
- Ability to develop relationships across the WV Partnership, the non-profit sector and with charitable umbrella organizations.
- Experience working in the non-profit sector, CRA and with charitable umbrella organizations considered an asset.
We bring life-saving support in times of disaster. We help poor communities to take charge of their futures. We provide small loans and training that boost family livelihoods. We work with policy makers to change the way the world is run. Our Christian faith teaches us that every child, regardless of gender, faith or race, is a precious gift to the entire world - and that their wellbeing concerns us all. We shall never rest while children suffer in situations that can be changed.
Canada's Top 100 GTA's Top 10
Our Core Values: We are committed to the Poor. We are Christian. We are Stewards. We value People. We are Partners. We are Responsive.
Qualified candidates must be able to demonstrate a commitment to the core values and mission of the World Vision partnership.
World Vision Canada takes our Safeguarding responsibilities seriously and we provide an environment that is safe for our child and adult beneficiaries. We have strong recruitment procedures to make sure the safest and most suitable people work with the children in our programs. We provide our staff and volunteers with ongoing supervision, support and training in their work with child and adult beneficiaries.
World Vision Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Thank you for your interest; however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Family Legal
- Job Function SLT
- Pay Type Salary