Application deadline: 24.06.2021
Reports to: Chief Counsel
The incumbent will be responsible for providing expert legal advice and services to private sector and trade finance operations (PSTFOD) including but not limited to project finance, and will be assigned tasks of medium complexity involving multi-disciplinary teams. The incumbent will also conduct a variety of research and analytical work, contribute to solving legal problems, and provide technical input into complex matters.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to the development of procedures for an area of the organization, and monitors their implementation from a legal perspective.
- Support the Director, GCLSD-PSTFOD in implementing the annual work program relating to PSTFOD operations and ensuring the achievement of its long-term goals, strategic targets and annual objectives.
- Draft, review, amend and negotiate the substance of agreements in one or more of the following areas: (1) private sector and trade finance operations, including but not limited to syndicated lending, bilateral loan agreements and private equity investments; and (2) manage the legal aspects of co-financing arranged by OPEC Fund Syndication team with other multilateral and bilateral financial institutions; and (3) assist in the negotiation of the agreement for the encouragement and protection of investments.
- Manage all legal aspects of a portfolio of assigned loan transactions until maturity, including managing the legal aspects of waivers and amendments.
- Provide legal advice on PSTFOD sovereign and non-sovereign operations with respect to appraisals, approval process, documentation, signature and effectiveness of operations.
- Advise on the execution and legal validity of agreements and arrangements, and review external legal opinions or memoranda.
- Provide legal services and advice to OPEC Fund’s stakeholders on the development and implementation of new lending products, including participating in the design of such products and legal matters related to loan operations.
- Participate in the missions, committees, task forces or working groups of OPEC Fund as directed by the Director, GCLSD-PSTFOD or the General Counsel, or as appointed by the Director-General.
- Identify issues of importance on legal matters in any aspect related to OPEC Fund’s operations and conduct research, analyses and studies on a wide range of legal issues, including interpretation of legal instruments, and bring them to the attention of the Director, GCLSD-PSTFOD, together with recommendations thereon.
- Participates in the exchange of ideas and knowledge sharing to facilitate the broadening of the skills of the GCLSD team.
- Monitor and signal deviations in the application of frameworks, contracts, policies and processes related to the legal/compliance/risks of PSTFOD operations and, if necessary, take corrective measures under the guidance of Director, GCLSD-PSTFOD.
- As assigned by the Director, GCLSD-PSTFOD or the General Counsel, represent OPEC Fund in any external legal proceedings and liaise with external counsels.
- Work with external stakeholders (the senior representatives of co-lenders/ investment funds, partners and external counsel as required, and authorized officials of partner countries/institutions) and internal stakeholders (e.g. all OPEC Fund departments/units on the subject of legal services and advice on an ongoing basis).
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of the knowledge assets of the department and the document management systems and related materials.
- Carry out other tasks assigned by the Director, GCLSD-PSTFOD that are related to the job functions.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in law and admission to the Bar or equivalent
- A minimum of five years relevant professional experience
- In addition, preferably 2-3 years at an international development finance institution/ international law firm
- Fluent in English and French. Good working knowledge of Arabic, German or Spanish is an added advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to apply legal principles, concepts and policy to a range of legal work and issues, mainly in the area of project finance and trade finance necessary to perform the duties and responsibilities required by the position;
- Ability to conduct legal due diligence and negotiate private sector/trade finance legal agreements with medium complexity.
- Analytical skills and ability to conduct legal research on a range of relatively complex and intricate law issues;
- Proficiency in legal writing and ability to prepare background papers and studies on a variety of legal issues and instruments;
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment in the context of assignments given; and proficient in computer skills;
- Communication skills including clear and concise drafting skills in accordance with relevant editorial standards.
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Ability to work in an international multi-cultural environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity.