The UN Foundation strives to advance human dignity and protect the planet through our work on transformative issues critical to humanity’s shared future. As a strategic partner to the United Nations, we bring together fresh thinking and diverse voices to mobilize the people, ideas, and resources needed to tackle urgent problems and drive progress towards the collective promise of the Sustainable Development Goals.
The UN Foundation seeks a sharp, creative, detail-oriented digital native to create, curate and manage content, and help shape strategy across all our digital and social media channels.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Integrated Communications, the Social Media Manager is responsible for day-to-day management of UN Foundation’s social presence, voice and tone, and our on-going relationship with our nearly two million digital followers. Bursting with creativity, but also obsessed with accuracy and timeliness, this person will plan, write, craft, schedule, market, track, analyze and adjust in order to deepen two-way engagement with our existing audiences and help us attract new ones, both amongst engaged members of the public, and also issue experts, policy influencers, and decision makers.
This role requires editorial excellence, digital innovation, and technical proficiency. In addition, the successful candidate will bring multitasking dexterity, enthusiasm for our issues, and a positive team spirit.
- Creates, manages and executes social media content plans—organic and paid—on a daily basis and for specific campaigns
- Holds responsibility for planning and implementing UNF’s social media calendar
- Collaborates with members of the Public Affairs team and other internal stakeholders to deliver social media content and campaigns
- Monitors, listens and responds to social audiences in appropriate ways to deepen engagement and defuse issues
- Helps design, create, curate and manage the best content for all UNF social and digital channels
- Optimizes content for social and SEO
- Posts content and makes updates to web properties as needed.
- Implements, manages, and helps develop social media strategy
- Defines relevant KPIs, tracks, and analyzes performance across channels, suggesting and making real-time improvements.
- Stays up to date with latest social media and digital best practices and digital marketing trends, capturing and sharing learning.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 5-8 years' experience in digital communications, with increasing seniority.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or related field preferred.
- Exceptional writing skills - showcasing accuracy, flair, speed - across different formats, but especially for social.
- Demonstrated expertise and total immersion in social media management and marketing tools.
- Ability to express complex ideas creatively and succinctly, including through graphics and video.
- Proficiency in design for social, and high levels of creativity.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Proficiency with WordPress CMS, HTML, Adobe Creative Suite, Hootsuite, Google Analytics, and other relevant tools.
- Experience in tracking and analyzing data and preparing meaningful analytics reports for senior staff.
- Strong, mature judgment to engage with audiences appropriately at all times.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with easy ability to relate to, and inspire confidence in, people at all levels, including senior UNF/UN officials as needed.
- Excellent time and project management skills.
- Proactive initiative-taker and ideas-generator.
- Engaged in our issues.
- Helpful team-player with positive attitude and professional demeanor.
- This role is based in Washington D.C.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.